Sand Filter Leaking From Bottom

Oct 27, 2012
Hi, my sand filter is about 3 years old, the system was working fine until I did a backwash, now I have a small leak from the
bottom of the sand filter, the water is trickling out, not a huge leak but a small one. It is NOT the drain plug.

The PSI Gauge is reading 15PSI and the system is running fine other than a small trickle from the bottom.
I cant see underneath the filter because it is very heavy.

If I have to put something over a small crack on a fiberglass filter what would I use?

I heard there is nothing at the bottom of the filter so why do I have a small trickle coming out the bottom.

Any help would be great, I have have to I will buy a new filter but might be an easy fix.

That is odd, especially for such a relatively new filter. Can you add your equipment to your signature and perhaps include a pic of your system so we can see what you have to work with there?

You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

Well, the only way I could see a repair working is with a really good epoxy applied from the inside, so you'd have to remove the top/multiport valve, then of course remove the sand (re-use it), and apply a good epoxy on the effected area. If it were me, I'd probably try that before buying a new filter if everything else was working properly. But before attempting the repair, I would contact the installer and/or the manufacture to see if the product is still under warranty. That shell should NOT fail so soon. That's a manufacture's defect in my opinion. Pumps, gaskets, seals, I can understand, but not the filter shell itself. Call them. You might get lucky.

Did you say it happened after a backwash? Check the multiport valve to see if that's the source. It could easily be running from there down the side of the filter body. If you find that's the source, post back for a potential cure.

I don't have much to say other than I concur with Dave that it is much more likely a leak from top working its way down. Not saying you are wrong, just that I have a hard time seeing a small seep from my multiport valve. I occasionally get a little junk in the bleeder after a backwash that will cause a minuscule leak. I would warp the multiport valve in towels and see if 1.) the leaks stops or 2.) they get wet.

If you truly have a crack in the filter body, it needs to be taken out of service. Failure is unlikely, but could be dangerous. 15 pounds per square inch over the entire surface area of the filter equals a lot of force if it were to fail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.