Robot cleaner for ledge ?

I am looking for a cleaner for my pool but i am having a few issues on what I need
I have a standing ledge that goes all the way around the deep end, its about 9" wide
My questions is will it be worth it to buy a robot that cleans the walls too or just a floor cleaner, My thinking is that a wall cleaning robot will get to the top of the ledge and think its the top of the pool and not even try to get on the wall. I really dont want to spend the money on a wall cleaning unit and it not be able to do it, i know the robot will never clean the ledge itself but it would be nice if it could keep going to the wall ,
any help would be great
Pic below

Attachments

• pool painting 3.jpg
    pool painting 3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 59
Robots go all the way to the top regardless. They run one direction, then a timer tells them to go the other way. That way they will travel along the tile line and scrub the tile. A better way to describe it is that they do not detect they are at the top in any way.

Robots go all the way to the top regardless. They run one direction, then a timer tells them to go the other way. That way they will travel along the tile line and scrub the tile. A better way to describe it is that they do not detect they are at the top in any way.

Ok great , So i guess my next question would be do i need a robot that has spinning brushes or fix, since its a painted pool would a spinning brush wear down the paint ?

As I likely mentioned in another thread I have the same pool construction (even that weird little tile channel that's attached to the bullnose coping - we put in a 1" glass mosaic in various shades of blue.

I have the Dolphin s300 with a vigorous front brush. I, too, was concerned about the plaster ledge and the cleaner doesn't really vacuum the ledge. What it does do is brush the detritus off the ledge as it scrambles up the wall. It absolutely keeps moving past the ledge and then stops at the waterline with pretty much the entire roller exposed (our waterline is at the very bottom of the tile channel) and gets the lowest tile completely as well as the gap below the tile channel. During the wall climb it uses it's top-of-the-cleaner thruster to maintain tight contact with the wall. after a5 seconds or so it uses it's side thruster to move sideways and continue scrubbing. It does this a couple of times and then drops back into the water to continue scrubbing the floor.

The stuff on the ledge has so far been swept down to the pool floor and it has been picked up later. I thought I would at least have to brush the stuff off the ledge but there has not been a need so far. It's a fantastic little cleaner. A touch more than I planned to pay but all I need to do is to flash back on my previous weekend vacuuming ritual to remind me that the price was worth it.

FYI - our tile:

Redirect Notice

As I likely mentioned in another thread I have the same pool construction (even that weird little tile channel that's attached to the bullnose coping - we put in a 1" glass mosaic in various shades of blue.

I have the Dolphin s300 with a vigorous front brush. I, too, was concerned about the plaster ledge and the cleaner doesn't really vacuum the ledge. What it does do is brush the detritus off the ledge as it scrambles up the wall. It absolutely keeps moving past the ledge and then stops at the waterline with pretty much the entire roller exposed (our waterline is at the very bottom of the tile channel) and gets the lowest tile completely as well as the gap below the tile channel. During the wall climb it uses it's top-of-the-cleaner thruster to maintain tight contact with the wall. after a5 seconds or so it uses it's side thruster to move sideways and continue scrubbing. It does this a couple of times and then drops back into the water to continue scrubbing the floor.

The stuff on the ledge has so far been swept down to the pool floor and it has been picked up later. I thought I would at least have to brush the stuff off the ledge but there has not been a need so far. It's a fantastic little cleaner. A touch more than I planned to pay but all I need to do is to flash back on my previous weekend vacuuming ritual to remind me that the price was worth it.

Great Its nice to hear from someone with a pool like this and i was looking at the model for a while ,glad to hear it working good for you. I just laid the tile down in the white track last week I got the 1" glass mosaic tile as well, if you dont mind me asking what did you use to (grout the tile) I used corrning 799 Silicone [FONT=arial, sans-serif]sealant to lay the tile. Also dose the robot get real aggressive at the tile line? my water line is just below the tile
Pics of rest of pool
[/FONT]http://imgur.com/a/FSkUs

Great Its nice to hear from someone with a pool like this and i was looking at the model for a while ,glad to hear it working good for you. I just laid the tile down in the white track last week I got the 1" glass mosaic tile as well, if you dont mind me asking what did you use to (grout the tile) I used corrning 799 Silicone [FONT=arial, sans-serif]sealant to lay the tile. Also dose the robot get real aggressive at the tile line? my water line is just below the tile
Pics of rest of pool
[/FONT]http://imgur.com/a/FSkUs

I went to poolandmarinepaint.com for my adhesive/grout and used whatever they recommended for sealant and grout. It took 4 weekend mornings to remove the nearly 40-year old tile and adhesive and less than 8 hours to put in the new tile/grout. Even the guy who replastered my pool (and wanted to charge me four times what I ended up paying to redo the tile) said it looked great.

The robot gets aggressive the way the brushes at the car wash get aggressive. They'll loosen the bits of whatever is floating around but the roller isn't really abrasive. No issue at all with the tile. I have no idea how it works with repeated use on paint.

I went to poolandmarinepaint.com for my adhesive/grout and used whatever they recommended for sealant and grout. It took 4 weekend mornings to remove the nearly 40-year old tile and adhesive and less than 8 hours to put in the new tile/grout. Even the guy who replastered my pool (and wanted to charge me four times what I ended up paying to redo the tile) said it looked great.

The robot gets aggressive the way the brushes at the car wash get aggressive. They'll loosen the bits of whatever is floating around but the roller isn't really abrasive. No issue at all with the tile. I have no idea how it works with repeated use on paint.

i feel ya on removing the old glue and tile , I just use a 4.5in angle grinder with a wire wheel to get the old adhesive off the track took about 2 hours
but thanks again for the help, but sh!& the s300 is an expensive cleaner , it was hard enough to convince my wife at around 700 to 900 range, but i dont think i can pull off 1200

I negotiated it down to 1100. It's expensive but it comes with the caddy and has the top loading basket which is more than worth a couple of hundred dollars over the other options - for me, at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.