Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please explain "sparkling"

1. Back To Top    #1

Please explain "sparkling"

Ok, I'm an engineer...

Can someone explain what is meant by "sparkling" water?

I understand water clarity. It can easily be measured. Does "sparkling" mean "apparently perfect" clarity?

Or is this referring to reflections that occur on water ripples when the sun is shining?

If it's the latter, how/why does "sparkling" depend on water chemistry?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please explain "sparkling"

Refraction and reflection of sunlight. When the water is properly balanced and extremely clear, it will sparkle. Think of a very clear diamond vs. an occluded gem.

Between the look and smell of the pool water, I can tell if everything is in balance without testing.

And yes, I still test.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Does pH affect the look of the water? I thought I read that somewhere.
    -Paul
    15k gallon IG plaster, 26x39 at widest points, sort of shaped like the great state of Texas!
    B2854 Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP single speed motor
    Tagelus TA-60 Sand Filter, Polaris 280, TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I still want a "like" button. Well said RobbieH!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is my pool sparkling:

SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by paulmaz View Post
    Does pH affect the look of the water? I thought I read that somewhere.
    It can. If pH is off, I have found that it can cause cloudiness, especially if CH is high. If I walk out and my water isn't sparkling, pH is the first culprit that comes to my mind, and most of the time it has been the issue. That or I haven't been running my robot.

This is an old picture before the deck grout repair, replaster, and new waterline tile, but this is my idea of sparkling. Note, that main drain you see there is 9 FEET below the surface.

Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Another one

When it's calm it looks empty, when it's rippling it looks like a diamond.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

8. Back To Top    #8

So, can the water clarity be identical, but one pool "sparkle" and the other not?
    When the water is properly balanced and extremely clear, it will sparkle
    So "sparkle" is just a synomym for extremely clear?

What I think of as "sparkling" depends not only on water clarity but on pool bottom color, ambient light, and surface wavelets. Reflections, in other words.

Asking a different way, if water clarity between two pools is identical, can one sparkle and another not? Because of ph? Any theory behind this?

9. Back To Top    #9

Good explanation and picture Robbie! That's what I had in my mind when I referred to sparkling water in another post...

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by davethomaspilot View Post
    Asking a different way, if water clarity between two pools is identical, can one sparkle and another not? Because of ph? Any theory behind this?
    Yes, as stated above. If balance is off, including pH, it will make a difference. And as stated, if pH is off, it can cause clouding, especially if CH is high. I see cloudy water, I immediately think pH.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by davethomaspilot View Post
    Ok, I'm an engineer...
    Funny how I knew that just by reading the thread title! engineers!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

"Is the glass half empty or half full?"

Engineer: It has a 50% safety factor.

13. Back To Top    #13

A Pool Guy: The glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    I was thinking he would say "Throw a trichlor tablet in it and it'll be fine"

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Philo View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!

In the words of Emeril. Sparkling is ANOTHER notch, TFPC style. Once you see it you will know. I have sparkling water pics and stupid clear night time pics in my build thread below.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

Friggin engineers... lol

Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Refraction and reflection of sunlight. When the water is properly balanced and extremely clear, it will sparkle. Think of a very clear diamond vs. an occluded gem.

Between the look and smell of the pool water, I can tell if everything is in balance without testing.

And yes, I still test.
    Well said. I do the same. If I'm in the water and get my nose right down to the surface, I can smell if there is a problem. The other side of having perfectly clear water is that you can see every spec of dirt (or liner wrinkle) on the bottom and that can drive a person crazy!
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

18. Back To Top    #18

Took some pics tonight. Reminder, that robot is 9' under. If you look closely, you can see the stone and shell in the Primera Stone even in the deep picture. Those are TINY stones. (and polished!)

19. Back To Top    #19

Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Another one

When it's calm it looks empty, when it's rippling it looks like a diamond.
    What is floating in your pool?
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast