Newbie Mistake

Lawtyger

Mar 11, 2016
Tampa, Florida
New to the forum as well as new to owning a pool. Great information here and purchased a Taylor 2006 test kit in hopes of monitoring my own chemicals and learning from this site.

That said. . . I think I made a newbie mistake in that when I tested the pool yesterday it showed I had no free chlorine. I then noticed that the chlorinator on my Omnilogic was off. I believe it has been off since Sunday when I apparently hit a button accidentally. My Fcl and Tcl have been around 3 up until this error.

My question is - will turning on the super chlorinate mode or upping the percentages manually on the chlorinator to 100% slowly get the chlorine level back or is pouring liquid chlorine into the pool also necessary?

If you have no algae, just turning on the SWG will slowly start building the FC, assuming you have some CYA to protect it from the sun. If you have some bleach on hand, take FC up to your normal setting and let the SWG carry on as normal. If you don't, set the thing on boost so you get some FC in the water before you do get algae.

Thanks fo the responses. Checked the water and using super chorinate for the last 24 hours has gotten the FC and TC back up to 4.
Excellent! :goodjob:

There's a common misconception that the instant a pool dips below the minimum Fc that the pool will explode in green algae. I see a pool as a living thing. Like a human, it might not be happy to fast for a day or two, but if it's generally in good health, no permanent damage will happen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.