Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie Mistake

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie Mistake

New to the forum as well as new to owning a pool. Great information here and purchased a Taylor 2006 test kit in hopes of monitoring my own chemicals and learning from this site.

That said. . . I think I made a newbie mistake in that when I tested the pool yesterday it showed I had no free chlorine. I then noticed that the chlorinator on my Omnilogic was off. I believe it has been off since Sunday when I apparently hit a button accidentally. My Fcl and Tcl have been around 3 up until this error.

My question is - will turning on the super chlorinate mode or upping the percentages manually on the chlorinator to 100% slowly get the chlorine level back or is pouring liquid chlorine into the pool also necessary?
    Gallons 13,860 / IG Pebble / Hayward OmniLogic / Hayward Swim Clear Filter / Hayward EcoStar / Hayward TriStar VS (for water features) / Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump / Date of build 3/11/16 / Other features: Spa / Hayward Colorlogic LED lights (2 in pool / 1 in spa) / Pentair LED Bubblers (2 one on each sun shelf) / Pentair Color Cascade Laminars (4 around pool) / Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie Mistake

If you have no algae, just turning on the SWG will slowly start building the FC, assuming you have some CYA to protect it from the sun. If you have some bleach on hand, take FC up to your normal setting and let the SWG carry on as normal. If you don't, set the thing on boost so you get some FC in the water before you do get algae.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd pour in a gallon of bleach first and then crank up the SWG to be on the safe side.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks fo the responses. Checked the water and using super chorinate for the last 24 hours has gotten the FC and TC back up to 4.
    Gallons 13,860 / IG Pebble / Hayward OmniLogic / Hayward Swim Clear Filter / Hayward EcoStar / Hayward TriStar VS (for water features) / Hayward HeatPro Heat Pump / Date of build 3/11/16 / Other features: Spa / Hayward Colorlogic LED lights (2 in pool / 1 in spa) / Pentair LED Bubblers (2 one on each sun shelf) / Pentair Color Cascade Laminars (4 around pool) / Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Lawtyger View Post
    Thanks fo the responses. Checked the water and using super chorinate for the last 24 hours has gotten the FC and TC back up to 4.
    Excellent!

There's a common misconception that the instant a pool dips below the minimum Fc that the pool will explode in green algae. I see a pool as a living thing. Like a human, it might not be happy to fast for a day or two, but if it's generally in good health, no permanent damage will happen.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!