What naturally (not which chemicals) lowers pH???

Smartjack

Bronze Supporter
May 1, 2016
Naperville, Il
So, I am new to the TFP method, and loving it. Before finding this site, I was using only DiChlor in my pool. That took my CYA out of control (which is what brought me here), but also always kept my pH low. I was always buying tons of pH up, and always seemed to have a low pH, no matter what I did. So, I know that will end this year. Now, using the TPF method, I will be adding bleach, and not lowering pH with my DiChlor. So, on to my question.

I know that aeriation (splashing, return jets rippling water, etc) will increase my pH. I also know that acid will bring my pH down, as well as rain water, since rain is acidic. But, will any other NATURAL occurrence lower my pH?? From what I see, it looks like I will never need to add something to bring my pH up again, and should be keeping plenty of acid on hand going forward with the TFP method.

Am I missing something here? It would seem after opening, and once I achieve proper balance, I will only be lowering pH, unless we get tons of rain dumped in the pool.

If you're worried about toxicology, Muriatic Acid (AKA Hydrochloric Acid) is about as simple a chemical as you can get. One hydrogen atom, one chlorine atom. Both of those atoms are in your pool anyway...

I'm not worried about adding Muriatic acid. I'm just curious if I am done with pH up (or Borax now that I am on the TFP method).

For 8 years I have never needed to lower pH, because the junk I've been dumping into my pool has always been lowering it. Now that I will only be using bleach, which is pH neutral, I'm just curious if I am done every needing to raise pH (other than at a opening, or after a major storm). From what I am reading, it seems like my pH will always be rising, unless there is something else in nature that drops it. So, I thought I would ask what naturally lowers it.......

Ditto what FPM said. I also haven't used but a few cups of acid in the last 8 or 9 years. My pH sits dead on 7.5. I said that to say, don't imagine problems that may not exist. You may find that your pH is very stable.

ya once you figure out what your pool prefers for TA level, you can get it to stabilize ph levels.

both my first plaster pool and current vinyl in ground have ph at 7.5 all the time with no swings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get something for nice for the Mrs to really grease the wheels of the TFPC acceptance train :D

She's going to be getter the most beautiful pool water she has had in 8 years. What more could she want???

I just used the first months savings to order a pump for liquid chlorine. Once I get that hooked up to my watermatic, I change my signature from "uses DiChlor"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.