Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What naturally (not which chemicals) lowers pH???

1. Back To Top    #1

What naturally (not which chemicals) lowers pH???

So, I am new to the TFP method, and loving it. Before finding this site, I was using only DiChlor in my pool. That took my CYA out of control (which is what brought me here), but also always kept my pH low. I was always buying tons of pH up, and always seemed to have a low pH, no matter what I did. So, I know that will end this year. Now, using the TPF method, I will be adding bleach, and not lowering pH with my DiChlor. So, on to my question.

I know that aeriation (splashing, return jets rippling water, etc) will increase my pH. I also know that acid will bring my pH down, as well as rain water, since rain is acidic. But, will any other NATURAL occurrence lower my pH?? From what I see, it looks like I will never need to add something to bring my pH up again, and should be keeping plenty of acid on hand going forward with the TFP method.

Am I missing something here? It would seem after opening, and once I achieve proper balance, I will only be lowering pH, unless we get tons of rain dumped in the pool.
    Bruce - (The SmartJack was an invention of mine, and became my nickname)
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater
    Hayward 1.5 HP, 2-Speed SuperPump, with Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter
    Polaris C-310 ORP Controller, modified to pump Liquid Chlorine
    Hayward Phantom, and Aquabot Turbo T-Jet automatic pool cleaners, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What naturally (not which chemicals) lowers pH???

If you're worried about toxicology, Muriatic Acid (AKA Hydrochloric Acid) is about as simple a chemical as you can get. One hydrogen atom, one chlorine atom. Both of those atoms are in your pool anyway...
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm not worried about adding Muriatic acid. I'm just curious if I am done with pH up (or Borax now that I am on the TFP method).

For 8 years I have never needed to lower pH, because the junk I've been dumping into my pool has always been lowering it. Now that I will only be using bleach, which is pH neutral, I'm just curious if I am done every needing to raise pH (other than at a opening, or after a major storm). From what I am reading, it seems like my pH will always be rising, unless there is something else in nature that drops it. So, I thought I would ask what naturally lowers it.......
    Fox Pool 40x27 IG Vinyl, Lagoon Shape, 27,000 gallons, Hayward 300,000 BTU heater

4. Back To Top    #4

It is very likely that you will not need to raise your pH anymore. I am not aware of anything that naturally lowers the pH besides what you've mentioned already.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't added anything to increase my ph in 9 years.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Ditto what FPM said. I also haven't used but a few cups of acid in the last 8 or 9 years. My pH sits dead on 7.5. I said that to say, don't imagine problems that may not exist. You may find that your pH is very stable.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    I haven't added anything to increase my ph in 9 years.
    +1 to that!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

ya once you figure out what your pool prefers for TA level, you can get it to stabilize ph levels.

both my first plaster pool and current vinyl in ground have ph at 7.5 all the time with no swings.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

9. Back To Top    #9

What am I going to do with all that money I'm not spending on chemicals this year??????

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Smartjack View Post
    What am I going to do with all that money I'm not spending on chemicals this year??????
    Up your supporter level?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Smartjack View Post
    Get something for nice for the Mrs to really grease the wheels of the TFPC acceptance train
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    Get something for nice for the Mrs to really grease the wheels of the TFPC acceptance train
    +1!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    She's going to be getter the most beautiful pool water she has had in 8 years. What more could she want???

I just used the first months savings to order a pump for liquid chlorine. Once I get that hooked up to my watermatic, I change my signature from "uses DiChlor"

14. Back To Top    #14

Liquor store for fruity, beachy drinks and floaties!

How come I am the only one with the right answer???
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach