New Pool Leak While Filling

Lear

May 12, 2016
New York
Hello all,

I'm new here, but I have been visiting tfp for a while. I finally joined because I need advice.

I just just had an above ground pool installed and it seems like there has been nothing but issues.

First, I was given the wrong instructions on how to fill the pool, so I left the water on all night. This ended in a broken coping and a yard full of water, apparently because of the cold night temperatures.

Second, the installer came back and fixed the liner, and coping, though he didn't resurface the bottom sand. At about 12 inches, the beaded liner popped out of the coping and the liner fell out of about 1/4 of the pool. I luckily was outside at the time and prevented the water from pouring out by holding the liner up. At the request of the installer I pumped the water down to 2-3 inches. At this point the pool store steps in and took over to try to do right by their customer.

Third. After draining all the water out of the pool, the store took the liner out except the return/skimmer. They gave it a few days for the sand to dry out in the sun. They came back and refinished the sand (at least some of it, though they said they did the whole thing, but that's not what it looked like like to me). They hung the liner, put vacuum on it, and instructed me to let it fill to the vacuum hose, then turn it off and take the vacuum out. Unfortunately, I started to notice water around the side of the pool. With further inspection, I found a hold/slit, like the size of a dime on its' edge. It corresponded with some of the water outside the pool, but not all. I am worried there are more leaks. The liner has been handles quite a bit.

I had a scrap of liner, so I placed it on top of hole to see if it would slow the leak down until the pool store can get back to me. If they don't get back to me I feel like my only option is to patch the hole myself. My concern is that the liner is new, and still has probably never had more than 12 inches of water in it. I am afraid if I did a patch (hole in on the bottom floor, about 10 inches from seam) the liner as the pool fills will stretch and rip the patch. I assume at some point, the floor won't be trying to stretch anymore? I also know that the more water I get in the pool, the more water will leak out.

I would love to start all over, with a new liner, but I can't really afford that.

Any ideas?

If it were me they would be replacing the liner. The pool was never technically completed and handed over to you,coupled with the fact that it sounds like a million people have tweaked and been in the pool trying to fill it means it's their problem. I refused final payout till mine was done, they didn't like it and I went through 2 builders but they dealt with it. I found that pool building is something that a lot of shady people get into to make a buck and it's hard to find a honest one that does nice work,ymmv. Keep us updated, don't give them the option to patch it, you paid for a new pool and you should get one, not a cobbled up mess.

If it were me they would be replacing the liner. The pool was never technically completed and handed over to you,coupled with the fact that it sounds like a million people have tweaked and been in the pool trying to fill it means it's their problem. I refused final payout till mine was done, they didn't like it and I went through 2 builders but they dealt with it. I found that pool building is something that a lot of shady people get into to make a buck and it's hard to find a honest one that does nice work,ymmv. Keep us updated, don't give them the option to patch it, you paid for a new pool and you should get one, not a cobbled up mess.

Thank you for the reply. The pool store came and patched the hole.

Everyone has already been paid. The installers were paid after the install but before it was completely filled. I didn't think of waiting until the pool was actually usable, and then paying them. My bad.

Luckily it wasn't a large, expensive in-ground pool project.

I really hope it holds up

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.