So Cal - Complete Remodel In Progress

Hi guys, after receiving a ton of helpful advise and information (especially Bdavis466) from everyone on this forum, I decided to post some pics and information for our current plans for our pool remodel.
The pool was built in 1989 and needed new plaster and tile badly. Our first budget was 10K but after reading up and looking at all the beautiful pools on this forum we are now breaking the bank at 25K with a owner builder remodel. Any advise or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Here is a list of everything we are planning on doing:

New Baja Shelf with 3 Bubblers
New Stairs
Raised Spa with Stacked Flagstone Spillway
2 Rock Jump Boulders
1 Rico Rock Waterfall
4 Sheer Descent Waterfalls (2", 2", 2", 4")
New Skimmer
New Pool Plumbing (New Returns, New upgraded bigger main lines, Added Suctions for Water Features, New Plumbing for Spa)
New Pool Equipment (Pentair Clean & Clear Filter, Pentair VS Pump, Pentair VF Pump, Whisperflo Pump, Air Supply Blower).
1 Intellibrite 5G Color Pool Lights
3 Intellibrite GloBrite Lights
Fujiwa Tile - Wall Line Tile
Stone Veneer for Pool Wall
Flagstone for Coping
Mini-Pebble Midnight Blue / Sand for Baja Shelf for plaster.

Re: So Cal - Owner Builder Remodel

Pool plaster was chipped. Baja Shelf, Pool Steps and raised spa being worked on. We ran into our first issue, the contractors raised our spa (floors, benches, walls). Originally the spa jets were very high to begin with (almost to our necks) so my wife and i decided to leave the plumbing as is to save money. Contractors advised us to raise jets because they would be to low but we decided that it would fine. After the spa was completed the jets were way to low for us lol, big mistake!! Instead of knocking down the wall and rebuilding to fix our mistake, we decided to do the plumbing around the wall and expanding the wall another 6" to cover the plumbing. This mistake actually worked out for us because now instead of having a 12" raised spa wall we now have an 18" wall that looks much better! I decided to tackle the plumbing myself in order to save the costs in expanding the wall. Plumbing (water & air) was such a headache to do! future plumbing will be left to the pros, special thanks to bdavs466 for walking me through the plumbing process.

- - - Updated - - -

Pool Jump Rocks and Sheer Descents completed...We also decided to raise our back pool wall for a more dramatic effect with the sheer descents.

Re: So Cal - Owner Builder Remodel In Progress

WOW! When you do it you DO IT! Nothing left but the shell and even that is changed!

LOL on the plumbing........well they did try to tell you!

Thanks for sharing!

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Kim,
Well the pool originally had round corners, we wanted an update so we converted them to square. We didnt do anything to the deck because we are unsure whether to break and redo or to resurface. It all depends on what's left of the budget. Our next step is to finish the flagstone spa spillway, plumbing and then the waterfall

Hi, I just got your message. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of the completed pool here at work at the moment. I did find two pictures I took on my phone right after the plaster install during the water fill up process. I’ll try to get you some better quality pictures of the completed backyard this evening if you need them.

Attachments

• 879D4E88-9F48-4FF2-85B1-5CB9F4C8D13F.jpeg
    879D4E88-9F48-4FF2-85B1-5CB9F4C8D13F.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 90
  • FDFB3128-211E-4BEF-9A3B-08F14A31B4C6.jpg
    FDFB3128-211E-4BEF-9A3B-08F14A31B4C6.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 89
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.