Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Light keeps blowing GFCI

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Light keeps blowing GFCI

So, I go outside to brush the pool down and I flip the both pool and spa light, then they shut off........ok, weird. The pool light will stay on and doesn't trip the GFCI........turn that off and turn the spa light on and almost a second later it trips the GFCI every time. I replaced the bulb back in Dec. when I put it back in I broke the little piece that the screw goes inside of the niche. What could be the problem?

Is this an issue?
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Light keeps blowing GFCI

My pool lights are doing the exact same thing. We changed the GFI thinking that was the problem and it wasn't. I wonder if water in getting into the unit. Our lights are the color logic by Hayward and are not cheap. The pool store says they are just bad and we need to replace them. They are ten years old. I'd like to know if it's something we can fix.
    Ronda

my pool is a 18x36 inground with Romans style ends. 8' deep with steel walls and a vinyl liner. 26,730 gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I doubt it's the retaining ring.

I would take the fixture out and the bulb. Look close at the fixture. Replace the bulb carefully making sure it seats correctly. In a perfect world I would replace the gasget too.

If that doesn't work I would open up the J box and inspect. Is everything connected and tight? Is there slack in the cord?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Ten year old color logic led lights? I suspect replacement is in the cards. There are YouTube videos on how to do it. Watch a few, if you feel you have the ability then do it. We can answer questions and guide you.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

When I opened it up back in Dec. I changed the gasket because it was pretty bad, its been working fine for the past 5 months. The only thing I did was last weekend I drained 50% of my pool water, including the water in the spa. Im wondering if the drain/re-fill of the water moved something???

This are the pics of what it looked like when I took it out:

Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

I wont' be able to open her up until tomorrow morning, but Im already thinking about replacing the entire fixture, I've been looking at the exact replacement part (Pentair 78106000) but am starting to think about LED........

Whats the pro's/con's of going LED
    My main pool light is still incandescent, if the spa light is LED, would it look weird?
    I really dont want to spend more than $500, what are my choices?
    Are there any changes on the electrical side if I go LED?
    Chris B.

7. Back To Top    #7

The main con of LED is that they appear to not be as bright but that probably does not matter in a spa. I doubt it will look weird.

Color changing LEDs can be installed with out any special wiring changes they are just a pain to change colors. There are some with remotes that makes that easier.

Go look on Inyo pools and Sunplay, Amazon etc and compare prices. I have Jandy which I like but Hayward and Pentair are just as good.

Changing the fixture means disconnecting the cord at the junction box and pulling cable through the conduit. Watch a couple of You Tube Videos (I really think Inyo has one) and if you don't think that's for you hire an electrician or a pool service.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you replace it, remember to leave the current light in place until you are read to swap so you can use the old wire as a pull cord.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

9. Back To Top    #9

On Friday morning I started the mission that I accepted, I 1st went to Home Depot and bought a replacement GFCI, that took some time because I had to figure out the wiring!!!!! After a couple of hours messing around with that (I hate dealing with electrical and plumbing, so this is like both!!) I came to the conclusion it was the light. Went to the local pool store, got a light and a pool light wedge, came back home and started the tear down process. I disconnected the old light and before running the line I connected it and bingo!!!! The GFCI didn't trip anymore, so at that point I definately knew it was the light. So, continued by tying a small braided rope to the old light cord and pulling the new one thru, that was fun......NOT!!! LoL

So get everything buttoned up and back together and I now have my spa light back and the GFCI doesnt trip.

One question, I seem to have one of these in my spa and 2 of them about the middle of the pool on both sides, what are they for?

Chris B.

10. Back To Top    #10

For the spa I'm guessing its to tie a thermometer to, now for the pool, it's to tie the floating ropes ( guess that's what you'd call them) from one end to the other to denote the shallow end of the pool from the starting of the deep end.
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360

11. Back To Top    #11

Generally they are used for tying small children to the pool wall so the pool can be used as intended for the parents.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Generally they are used for tying small children to the pool wall so the pool can be used as intended for the parents.
    LOL!!!!!!
    17.5K IG Pool with Spa spillover and fountain, Plaster Finish, Purex Triton CC420 Cartridge Filter, Pentair Intelliflo XF VS motor, Laars LX GasHeater, Polaris 360

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

HAHAHAHA!!! Nice!

Anyone else have any cleaver ideas on what they could be used for?
    Chris B.

15. Back To Top    #15

To tie your ice chest
    InGround 15K gal, 18'x30' 3.5' to 5.5' depth w/ 9'x9' spillover Spa, Pebblesheen w/ Travertine, Hayward 3 HP VSP, Hayward C4030 Cartridge, Hayward 1.5 HP for 2 Scupper columns, ProLogic, PL-PS-8 Panel, Hayward 400K BTU Heater, 3 ColorLogic LED, Spa Blower, TF-100 w S-Stick, QC Tiger Shark, Autofill

16. Back To Top    #16

We have them in our pool for a floating rope as indicated above. We have never used it.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System