Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump issue during my SLAM

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump issue during my SLAM

Hey everyone. I think I got myself into a bind tonight. I'm currently going into night 2 of my SLAM. My pool is crystal clear (has small debris though) and CC is now at .5, but I'm still losing a little chlorine. Around 9:30 pm tonight, I heard my Hayward pump make loud noises (like it was spewing out water or something). I ran to check and saw my SWG (which is turned off) said "No Flow". My basket was full of worms so I cleared it out. However, I noticed my pump had a small leak on the underbelly. I turned it on and SWG said "No Flow" again. I turned it off and back on and no error messages from SWG, but the noise was still pretty loud. Now, at 10:45 pm, I go outside and do not hear the pump running. I run down to the pump and see that it's off and breaker tripped (breaker never trips). I flip breaker back on and turn pump on. It hums, SWG says "No Flow", and breaker trips within 20 seconds.

Edit: earlier today, I set the multiport to Waste and vacuumed the pool. This is the first time that I have ever vacuumed (I have a Dolphin that I typically use). Not sure if this has caused any issues, but I'm just disclosing info.

Questions:

1. Did my pump go out and is there another issue? Pool and pump is about 4 years old, but previous owner of home was not very bright with his pool equipment.
    Edit: Just read Pool School - Troubleshooting for Filters. The outside of the pump is extremely hot. This is the first time I've ever remembered touching it so I'm not sure how hot it typically is. It is making a high screeching sound. According to troubleshooting, I need to have the motor repaired or replaced. I'm assuming replaced since I also have some leaks? And my check valve on filter is broken, but not sure how much that matters?

2. I'm doing a SLAM and it says run pump 24/7. How will this affect my SLAM now?

Just when this pool novice thought he had this pool stuff under control! AH!

2016-05-11 22.47.18.jpg

2016-05-11 22.47.07.jpg
    Pool Owner since Sept. 2014, but 2012(ish) in-ground pool. 40'x'20x3'(shallow)-8'(deep). Around 28,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. SWG. Aqua Rite with Hayward T-15 cell. Hayward Super Pump (self priming). Hayward Sand Filter. AquaPro Pro1100e Heat Pump. 2 main drains. 2 skimmers. 2 jets. 1 light. 1 diving board. Dolphin M4. TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump issue during my SLAM

Did you check the water level after vacuuming? Maybe there isn't enough water flow into the skimmer. If the pump is bad continue your SLAM, test and add chlorine and brush the pool to circulate the water. A little extra brushing is good for the SLAM anyway.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You can also get a cheap sub pump to help move the water around until you get a new pump. That will buy you some time. Ask around and someone may have one you can barrow or you can get one from Harbor Freight.

You are SO close! Keep doing everything you can until you get this fixed up.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the help! Unfortunately, I had enough water so it was not a water level issue. I went ahead and bucked up and bought a Waterway Champion pool pump to replace this one. They told me it was a more economical replacement for the Hayward and probably would last as long (which in my case that pump probably only lasted 3 years so anything better than 3 years is a win for me).
    Pool Owner since Sept. 2014, but 2012(ish) in-ground pool. 40'x'20x3'(shallow)-8'(deep). Around 28,000 gallons. Vinyl liner. SWG. Aqua Rite with Hayward T-15 cell. Hayward Super Pump (self priming). Hayward Sand Filter. AquaPro Pro1100e Heat Pump. 2 main drains. 2 skimmers. 2 jets. 1 light. 1 diving board. Dolphin M4. TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Right!

Ok, start brushing!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach