Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just another newbie...

1. Back To Top    #1

Just another newbie...

Good evening folks! I've been lurking around a little while trying to soak the information and, I finally managed to get my 5000 K intex pool filled and going. Most of the pool itself was inherited from a friend that just wanted to get rid of it. The filter pump was shot, the hoses were rotten...you name it. Trying to keep on a decent budget and put this thing back together was quite a challenge. after scouring craigslist and buying repair parts for the frame....I finally got everything up, filled and plumbed. Could you guys take a look at my tests and feel free to give any suggestions? Thanks!

PH 7.2
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    TA 100
    CYA 50
    16x48 intex metal frame pool, 5k gallons, Hayward S-244T sand filter, Hayward powerflo LX 1.5 HP, Hayward dyna skimmer with hard piped 1.5" plumbing, tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just another newbie...

Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like you are doing fantastic, numbers are good

I assume the water looks good too?
    How are you chlorinating?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, here's a couple pictures of my plumbing set up

16x48 intex metal frame pool, 5k gallons, Hayward S-244T sand filter, Hayward powerflo LX 1.5 HP, Hayward dyna skimmer with hard piped 1.5" plumbing, tf-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi and welcome to TFP! To simply answer your question about those numbers, I'd say ..... those numbers look good except for pH is a bit low. It could come-up to about 7.5 is all. Nice to have you with us, and better yet to see you testing with a TF-100. Nice.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Looks like you are doing fantastic, numbers are good

I assume the water looks good too?
    How are you chlorinating?
    At this point, I'm probably going with bleach. There was a S WG that came with the pool, but I didn't discover until I'd already loaded the salt and that it wasn't functional

6. Back To Top    #6

That is a serious filter for that size pool. It may never clog up for years ... although you should backwash it at least once a year

With your CYA what it is already, bleach is about your only option, unless you pickup another cheap Intex SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is a serious filter for that size pool. It may never clog up for years ... although you should backwash it at least once a year

With your CYA what it is already, bleach is about your only option, unless you pickup another cheap Intex SWG.
    Yeah, I'm planning on just keep in mind is open for a cheap swg. Until then, I figure it's good to practice getting all the measurements now anyhow .

8. Back To Top    #8

Absolutely. Learning to maintain the pool without automation (like a SWG) is good because then you realize what you are adding and why. I think too many members jump to a SWG and then lose the understanding of what it is actually doing for them.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a serious filter for that size pool. It may never clog up for years
    I didn't see the pics until they posted later. Looks like a filter on steroids or that was next to a nuclear power plant.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    I didn't see the pics until they posted later. Looks like a filter on steroids or that was next to a nuclear power plant.
    Hey, who am I to turn down a elcheapo craigslist special! 85 for the filter, and 100 bucks for the pump!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm with you! The best kind of filter is a free (or very cheap) filter.

12. Back To Top    #12

Did you include the water volume in that filter with your pool volume when using PoolMath? Might be enough to skew the calculations
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

now that you mention it...it might have been easier/simpler to just pop the top on the filter, toss in the kids and fire up the backwash! WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Welcome to TFP! Nice pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach