Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Getting my solar installed tomorrow... anything to watch for?

1. Back To Top    #1

Getting my solar installed tomorrow... anything to watch for?

Solar company called me up yesterday and said they got an early opening and can install my Helicol system tomorrow. Anything I should watch for while they are putting in the system? I have a cement tile roof and obviously don't want anything to compromise my roof. Also they are putting in an electronic controller. Any advice where to have them put this? I would prefer it to not be on the pad since there is no protection from the elements there.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Getting my solar installed tomorrow... anything to watch for?

The controller is designed to be outside and needs to be near the actuator.

Are the panels on the same side of the roof as the equipment? If not, and if they have to plumb up and over the roof, make sure they include a drain valve at the lowest point of the panels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, they are all on the same side of the house as the pump and filter. Do you like your Heliocol, Jason? Also what was your solar to pool surface coverage? Thanks.
    Jeff || 19,000g IGP || SwimClear 3025 Cartridge Filter || Hayward TriStar 1.39 THP pump || K-2006 Test Kit || 80% Surface Coverage Heliocol || Hayward Controller || Hayward Phoenix 4X4 || "Solar Rings" || PoolSkim

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure I like, them ... especially since I got them used and installed them myself and saved a LOT of money

Note sure about the ratio. A lot of my pool is pretty shallow so the surface area is big. I am probably at 80% for solar area. I had another panel, but could not easily fit it on the roof
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool, thanks JB. I thought about going used. There was actually a guy on CL here that was giving the whole system away for free if you would have it professionally disassembled and taken off his roof. Guys are here now, seems to be going well.