I got the Intex Automatic Pool Cleaner

I noticed with mine it seems to get "hung up" when switching from one direction to the other. Most of the time when I notice it I give it a good thump with the skimmer pole. But usually it fixes itself after a cycle or two.

The only thing Im not to fond of is if we get a lot of junk on the bottom (gotta love trees) the water it uses to move usually stirs everything up before it has a chance to suck it up.

Yeah thats what I noticed as well. But fortunately it stirs the water behind it. But when it turns to the opposite way it doesn't do that much the first few feet.

The new gearcase has arrived but I was't at home so I have to pick it up at the postoffice. Hope it solves the problem...

I finally got my hose to stay on, and boy, does this thing keep my pool clean! Sometimes it is hard to tell that I have water in it!

Purchased what Amazon said was a well used (Scraped up/marked/definitely used but supposedly in perfect working order. Amazon calls that Good Condition) Intex automatic pool cleaner Wednesday and it arrived today. But to my surprise, what came was a brand new unit in an original unopened box, though crushed a bit, that included all the hardware/hoses and manual. The equipment inside was untouched. $45.00.... Hooked it up to the return side and my little 1/2 HP pump and 12" sand filter (2100gph/1600gph actual flow) and it moves the thing around the pool like a champ. Mostly I have sand/silt from the yard lining the seams. Nothing big, no leaves. It's doing an excellent job. Time will tell for how long. A purchase from Intex can be a wild ride, I've seen in the forum.
Whats the consensus, how long does everyone run these? Daily, weekly, whenever the pump is on?
I also have one hose connection that leaks. Any suggestions on how to fix that?
thanks in advance..

Last edited:
Mine runs 24/7 (except when swimming) for the second season now. I have it on a separate pump, so I can turn it off without affecting the main pump/heater/SWG. I have lots of leaves, birch seeds, pine needles and other stuff hitting the pool, but the auto cleaner and the widemouth skimmer keeps it spotless. Dont worry about the leaking joint, it is by design and doesnt affect performance.

It looks like the Intex automatic cleaner also helps my small pump to better circulate water in the pool by moving the return water around the pool. Yesterday it took about two hours to cover the entire floor area and remove the silt resting in the seams.....Ill still be brushing the sides and floor, but because it works on the return side, it seems the automatic cleaner will help keep things from settling on the floor so quickly, making the filter/skimmer much more effective as well..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agador? Interesting. I'm not familiar with that name...Does everyone name their automatic pool cleaner?

Ever see the movie "The Birdcage" with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane? Agador is their live in housekeeper, played by Hank Azaria. There is one scene where he is cleaning their pool that is hilarious!

What kind of adapter are you talking about? From what to what?
He needs the Intex return eyeball with threads around the outside that the robot's hose screws onto. I thought it came with one, but if not, search on Amazon.com. If not there, Intex sells almost everything on their website, but it can take a while to get to you.

so, I got one of these bad boys and the first one I got would not operate worth a diddly dang...I sent it back after concluding it was defective (too much leak in the hoses, there should be some, but not a geyser as I had, and the motor was not set in place right) , got the new one in and I am in heaven! we had a storm blow thru last week and my pool floor was a mess with leaves, dirt and bugs...ran this baby overnight and came out the next day to clean it and my pool was spotless and this is what my zippy dude picked up for me! I have an aerobic stepping stool that I set on the pool floor behind my ladder to keep him out of there and let him do his thing pretty much all the time if I am not in the pool, hooked directly to the return outlet...plus, if I unhook the vacuum and just leave the hoses attached, I can go around and use the water pressure coming out to blow any dirt out of the seams as that is almost impossible to get out sometimes it seems...best $50.00 I have spent on this pool so far!

20170617_153906.jpg

Mine will go so far as to try to suck up those little rubber torpedoes if my son leaves them in the pool. I agree - best $50 I ever spent. I used to vacuum my pool almost daily to get dirt off the bottom. I literally never do it now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.