Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching from Fafco SunSavers to Polar Bear....header question

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching from Fafco SunSavers to Polar Bear....header question

Hello! I've been buying used fafco sunsaver (I think) panels on craigslist over the years, have 6 4x12's right now. They're popping leaks faster than I can patch them, so it's time to replace. I got a few years out of them for a couple hundred bucks, so I can't complain.

I'm looking at the Solar Bear panels now ( the 4x20's) - can I use the rubber couplings from the current panels that join panels together on the solar bear panels? From what I can gather, the solar bears 'appear' to have 2 inch headers like the ones I have now, but not sure if I can hook them up with the couplings. The sunsavers have a little barbed lip to keep the rubber from sliding off. Also, I saw on another thread here that you can use the solar bears just like the sunsavers by opening the bypass valve on both ends of the panel and then hook these up in parallel the same way I have them now (cold water in the bottom right, hot water out top left...for lack of a picture )?

Thanks in advance!
    12k IG Pool / Spa - plaster
    Jandy ePump 2.0 & Hayward Power Flo II (for rock waterfall)
    Pentair CCP320 Cartridge Filter
    iAqualink RS controls & Aquapure PLC1400 SWG
    Pentair Minimax NT 400k btu heater & 6-4x12 Fafco Panels

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching from Fafco SunSavers to Polar Bear....header question

That is the best way to run all solar panels. I think the hoses and clamps should work fine. Worst case, if there are issues you can double up the clamps.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks pooldv....just trying to make sure before I pull the trigger on buying new panels...I never have, just hoping that if I do I'm not fixing leaks again for at least a couple of seasons

4. Back To Top    #4

Update: Got the new solarbear panels (stamped sunsaver, so I guess they're the same?) and the hardware (rubber couplings, ect) fit fine from the older 4x12 fafco's I had. Just FYI for anyone else who might ask