Nautilus Dolphin Plus daily use?

Mar 15, 2013
Hi folks,

After reading a number of positive threads here, I decided a few months ago to replace my old Polaris cleaner with a Dolphin Nautilus Plus and so far I absolutely love it. It cleans the pool extremely well and it's very easy to clean the filter cartridges. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to operate every day like the Polaris. The power unit I got with the cleaner doesn't have the timer function for some reason and I can't find any easy way to start the cleaner on a set schedule without the timer. Is the timer control supposed to be standard? Right now, the only think I can seemingly do is go out every day and power cycle the power unit, which is a royal pain.

Thanks.

Hi folks,

After reading a number of positive threads here, I decided a few months ago to replace my old Polaris cleaner with a Dolphin Nautilus Plus and so far I absolutely love it. It cleans the pool extremely well and it's very easy to clean the filter cartridges. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to operate every day like the Polaris. The power unit I got with the cleaner doesn't have the timer function for some reason and I can't find any easy way to start the cleaner on a set schedule without the timer. Is the timer control supposed to be standard? Right now, the only think I can seemingly do is go out every day and power cycle the power unit, which is a royal pain.

Thanks.

You're leaving your cleaner in the pool 24/7?

Get a Wemo switch and program it, if you have a weatherproof area to plug into.

But, one thing to remember, you probably need to clean it out after every run. If you run it day after day and never clean it, you are just wasting electricity and wearing the parts on the robot, because when it is full it won't pick anything up.

- - - Updated - - -

Any particular reason or just don't want to leave it in there? I see notes in the manual not to leave the power unit in direct sun, but didn't see anything about taking the actual cleaner out immediately.

I keep my power unit under a cover for a Weber grill, which is in turn under my "gazebo". The Dolphin stays in.

Get a Wemo switch and program it, if you have a weatherproof area to plug into.

But, one thing to remember, you probably need to clean it out after every run. If you run it day after day and never clean it, you are just wasting electricity and wearing the parts on the robot, because when it is full it won't pick anything up.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep my power unit under a cover for a Weber grill, which is in turn under my "gazebo". The Dolphin stays in.

I don't have a problem cleaning it daily, I just want it to run overnight at the same time every day. I have an area that I can make weatherproof if I can figure out how to make this work, using a grill cover is a great idea.

I looked at things like the Wemo, but unfortunately that just energizes the power supply. I would still have to push the button on the supply itself to start the Nautilus unless I'm missing something.

Why not just clean it, throw it in, then hit the power switch? That's what I do.

OK, you have the same problem with the Nautilus as I have with the Z5. You have to press the power button. I'm pretty sure it is a safety feature. In fact, I just pictured the robot taking off from the caddy across the deck...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why not just clean it, throw it in, then hit the power switch? That's what I do.

OK, you have the same problem with the Nautilus as I have with the Z5. You have to press the power button. I'm pretty sure it is a safety feature. In fact, I just pictured the robot taking off from the caddy across the deck...

Exactly. My hope was that if it runs daily, after cleaning the first day or two, I could let it run a few days without having to clean the filters since the incremental crud that gets in there isn't enough to fill the cartridges with just one day. The filters on the Nautilus are pretty large.

Mine has been filling up quickly. The sand that blows in is bad enough, but the leaves and other debris going in makes it even worse. If I am lucky, I can run it twice.

I can tell when mine is full because it won't climb the walls.

Spring is a bad time for debris for me, but when the last of the weeds dry out and get kocked down for the last time and the trees stop shedding pollen, I can get a few days before the filters are full. I'm looking at options for when that time comes. Thanks for your advice.

I have the Nautilus Plus and it DOESN'T have a timer. I "think" you would have had to get the TRITON PLUS (maybe Triton too, one of them has a timer) to have a timer. I rarely leave mine in the pool and if I do it's only overnight and I use it 3-4/wk. You don't want to leave it in the pool all the time, unless you want to start replacing things on it WAYYY earlier than expected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.