Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Nautilus Dolphin Plus daily use?

1. Back To Top    #1

Nautilus Dolphin Plus daily use?

Hi folks,

After reading a number of positive threads here, I decided a few months ago to replace my old Polaris cleaner with a Dolphin Nautilus Plus and so far I absolutely love it. It cleans the pool extremely well and it's very easy to clean the filter cartridges. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to operate every day like the Polaris. The power unit I got with the cleaner doesn't have the timer function for some reason and I can't find any easy way to start the cleaner on a set schedule without the timer. Is the timer control supposed to be standard? Right now, the only think I can seemingly do is go out every day and power cycle the power unit, which is a royal pain.

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Nautilus Dolphin Plus daily use?

Quote Originally Posted by thenateo View Post
    Hi folks,

After reading a number of positive threads here, I decided a few months ago to replace my old Polaris cleaner with a Dolphin Nautilus Plus and so far I absolutely love it. It cleans the pool extremely well and it's very easy to clean the filter cartridges. My only gripe so far is that it's hard to operate every day like the Polaris. The power unit I got with the cleaner doesn't have the timer function for some reason and I can't find any easy way to start the cleaner on a set schedule without the timer. Is the timer control supposed to be standard? Right now, the only think I can seemingly do is go out every day and power cycle the power unit, which is a royal pain.

Thanks.
    You're leaving your cleaner in the pool 24/7?
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    You're leaving your cleaner in the pool 24/7?
    Not yet, but I'd like to leave it in there the better part of a week... maybe 24/6, if possible. A fair amount of debris gets in every day.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't even consider leaving mine in there all the time. It comes out as soon as it's done.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    I wouldn't even consider leaving mine in there all the time. It comes out as soon as it's done.
    Any particular reason or just don't want to leave it in there? I see notes in the manual not to leave the power unit in direct sun, but didn't see anything about taking the actual cleaner out immediately.

6. Back To Top    #6

Get a Wemo switch and program it, if you have a weatherproof area to plug into.

But, one thing to remember, you probably need to clean it out after every run. If you run it day after day and never clean it, you are just wasting electricity and wearing the parts on the robot, because when it is full it won't pick anything up.

- - - Updated - - -

Any particular reason or just don't want to leave it in there? I see notes in the manual not to leave the power unit in direct sun, but didn't see anything about taking the actual cleaner out immediately.
    I keep my power unit under a cover for a Weber grill, which is in turn under my "gazebo". The Dolphin stays in.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

I guess I'm just anal that way. I can't imagine chlorine being very good on it all the time. Just my opinion though!
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

My M5 is in the water almost all the time. I purchased a second set of filter cartridges and pull it out, swap the filters and back in the water it goes.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Get a Wemo switch and program it, if you have a weatherproof area to plug into.

But, one thing to remember, you probably need to clean it out after every run. If you run it day after day and never clean it, you are just wasting electricity and wearing the parts on the robot, because when it is full it won't pick anything up.

- - - Updated - - -

I keep my power unit under a cover for a Weber grill, which is in turn under my "gazebo". The Dolphin stays in.
    I don't have a problem cleaning it daily, I just want it to run overnight at the same time every day. I have an area that I can make weatherproof if I can figure out how to make this work, using a grill cover is a great idea.

I looked at things like the Wemo, but unfortunately that just energizes the power supply. I would still have to push the button on the supply itself to start the Nautilus unless I'm missing something.

10. Back To Top    #10

Why not just clean it, throw it in, then hit the power switch? That's what I do.

OK, you have the same problem with the Nautilus as I have with the Z5. You have to press the power button. I'm pretty sure it is a safety feature. In fact, I just pictured the robot taking off from the caddy across the deck...
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    Why not just clean it, throw it in, then hit the power switch? That's what I do.

OK, you have the same problem with the Nautilus as I have with the Z5. You have to press the power button. I'm pretty sure it is a safety feature. In fact, I just pictured the robot taking off from the caddy across the deck...
    Exactly. My hope was that if it runs daily, after cleaning the first day or two, I could let it run a few days without having to clean the filters since the incremental crud that gets in there isn't enough to fill the cartridges with just one day. The filters on the Nautilus are pretty large.

12. Back To Top    #12

Mine has been filling up quickly. The sand that blows in is bad enough, but the leaves and other debris going in makes it even worse. If I am lucky, I can run it twice.

I can tell when mine is full because it won't climb the walls.

13. Back To Top    #13

Spring is a bad time for debris for me, but when the last of the weeds dry out and get kocked down for the last time and the trees stop shedding pollen, I can get a few days before the filters are full. I'm looking at options for when that time comes. Thanks for your advice.

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the Nautilus Plus and it DOESN'T have a timer. I "think" you would have had to get the TRITON PLUS (maybe Triton too, one of them has a timer) to have a timer. I rarely leave mine in the pool and if I do it's only overnight and I use it 3-4/wk. You don't want to leave it in the pool all the time, unless you want to start replacing things on it WAYYY earlier than expected.
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG