Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algaecide question

1. Back To Top    #1

Algaecide question

Hi all

Question on when and whether to add algaecide. We closed properly last year, and I kept the winter cover clean, etc. This spring when we pulled back the tarp, the water was very clear - I removed the debris, shocked the pool, and am now topping up my CYA as the pumps run. But no algaecide - any thoughts on this? Do I need to bother?

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Algaecide question

If you are keeping your FC above the minimum for your CYA level then your pool will remain clear with no need for algaecide.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Algaecide can cause problems with some of the ingredients, namely metals. Following the TFP method of care and maintenance will ensure that you never need to use an algaecide. Even if you do get a little "green" a simple SLAM will clear that up.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks all!

68,000litre, IG vinyl, LorentzPS 600 Solar Pump & 1/2 HP Tristar, Sandfilter, Aquarite T-15 SWG
    20000 gallon, IG, SWG, Sand Filter, Hayward 1/2HP + Lorentz direct solsr PV pump