Pucks without stabilizer?

There are only a few forms of solid chlorine and only one is very slow dissolving, making it useful in erosion feeders. This is trichlor, which is a chemical made from chlorine and cyanuric acid (a chlorinated isocyanurate). The problem with this slow dissolving form of chlorine is that it will cause CYA levels to rise since once the chlorine is used up the CYA remains. The next slowest dissolving form of chlorine is calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo) which does not contain CYA but will cause calcium levels to rise over time. It dissolves very fast in comparison to trichlor so it does not work very well in erosion feeders and cannot be used in a pressurized feeder without danger of explosion so it's usually used in a plastic coated capule or tablet that is placed in the skimmer but these only last a few days at best and leave a lot of residue behind.

All the other solid forms of chlorine (lithium hypochlorite which will not raise CYA but is very expensive to use and dichlor which will raise CYA faster than trichlor does) are very fast dissolving so they are not useful for erosion feeders.

The two forms of chlorine tht have the LEAST side effects on water chemistry are lithium hypochlorite, a fast dissolving granular that is EXTREMELY expensive to use, and sodium hypochlorite (bleach or liquid chlorine) which is not as convenient as the dry forms of chlorine but is very economical to use.
I hope this explains it.

linusb212 said:
Ugh...I'm comfortable using bleach for my chlorinating needs...but have gotten used to the convenience of the feeder and hoped there was another option.
Not without either:
1. doing the "drain and refill' dance on a regular basis to keep your CYA in line (more trouble than it's worth, IMHO)
2. spending some bucks on on either a SWG or a persitaltic pump to dispense liquid chlorine.

BTW, IMHO, a cartridge filter should never be used with trichlor as most pool will overstabilize in a just a few short months since the filter is never backwashed. (I noticed in one of your other posts that you have a cart filter).

Thanks for the help guys...I'll quit the feeder use the bleach. Our previous house had no chlorine feeder and I used strictly bleach, so I'm used to the routine. Like I say, was just checking to see if there was another option for the feeder and seeing that there is not, I see bleach as the way to go!

There has GOT to be a way!....Re: Pucks without stabilizer?

As a non-chemist, ignorant of all chemicals and such, I just find it very hard to believe that a non-stabilized, slow-dissolving puck cannot be invented to use in all of these waste trichlor feeders we have collecting dust in our pump rooms.

CYA was my biggest enemy last year. I am still paying for the problems indirectly created from too much stabilizer. I don't see how trichlor continues to be sold by the millions without ruining everyone's pools.

Why would it be impossible to invent a non-CYA, slow dissolving tablet?

It shouldn't be impossible. But keep in mind that disinfecting chlorine is highly volatile, which makes it very difficult to mix with other ingredients. No plausible alternatives have been developed. The best thing I have seen was an attempt to put cal-hypo inside of a plastic container that regulated how much could get out at once, and so effectively slowed down how quickly it dissolved. Unfortunately they weren't really reliable, and they added CH to the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What really makes it difficult for me, is that none of my local pool and hardware stores seem to carry the 12% liquid chlorine and because my CYA is relatively high, I'm buying a lot of 6% bleach and having to deal with the big containers all the time.

A SWG is looking better all the time.

Rob

JasonLion said:
It shouldn't be impossible. But keep in mind that disinfecting chlorine is highly volatile, which makes it very difficult to mix with other ingredients. No plausible alternatives have been developed. The best thing I have seen was an attempt to put cal-hypo inside of a plastic container that regulated how much could get out at once, and so effectively slowed down how quickly it dissolved. Unfortunately they weren't really reliable, and they added CH to the pool.

rbdeli said:
...none of my local pool and hardware stores carry the 12% liquid chlorine...my CYA is high so I'm buying a lot of 6% bleach...dealing with the big containers all the time.
A SWG is looking better all the time.
A SWG is great, and I love mine but it doesn't eliminate the need for the 6% bleach for startup shocking. 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.