Found my air leak. Now I need to know, fix or replace the pump

May 9, 2016
Carthage TX
Surface
Vinyl
Finally get the pool cleaned, filled and turn on the pump. I notice that I have air coming through the returns. I found the leak after I turned off the motor.

20160510_191717_zpsedmtrjvj.jpg

Best i can tell it is leaking from where the filter basket is attached to the rest of the pump.

20160510_191725_zpshfpkg1un.jpg

Is there a seal inside here that can be causing this? Looking for advice before i tear anything apart.

There is almost certainly a gasket or o-ring there but it is always better to know make and model of the pump and find a source for spare parts before taking anything apart.

Thank you Mike for that link. Mine appears to be either the starite dura-glas or max-e-glas. I ordered new shaft seal and gaskets for it. They should arrive Monday. I'll take it apart then and hope nothing else is wrong with it. I will be replacing the motor and relocating the plumbing this winter, so I just hope it gets through the summer.

That is a dura-glas pump. It appears the leak is at the suction gasket. By removing the four bolts and carefully pulling apart you will find either a rubber gasket or paper. Need to remove and replace with a new rubber one, part # C20-123. This pump was is made by Sta-Rite now owned by Pentair.

Good morning all.:wave: In preparation for my new seals and gaskets arriving today, I pulled the pump to the garage to get it cleaned and prepped. While attempting to remove the impeller, I broke something off. :oops:
Not sure what it is exactly, but hoping I can fix it with your help.

Inside cap of motor.
20160516_081620_zpswartk0lc.jpg

The piece I broke.
20160516_082139_zpszwmoywcm.jpg

Shaft seal
20160516_082432_zpsdlrsygo6.jpg

Impeller, top and bottom
20160516_082449_zps3csm5tca.jpg

20160516_082455_zpsy2s3rbc6.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
the trap body, or trap, holds the basket, and pump lid, and has the 1.5 '' threaded inlet in front.

the trap then connects to the tank body, where the bad gasket is, and the 4 bolts secure the trap to the tank, while it appears that by removing the 4 bolts you can just slide a new gasket in between the trap and tank, you cant, due to an extension of the tank body that you cant see that extends into the trap about 1/2'' or so, so you have to seprate the trap from the tank 1/2'' or so to get the new gasket over it,

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.