Lot of Acid

Jun 17, 2015
Houston, Tx
So this is my second year following TFP protocol. Started both years with a SLAM and everything has been going well.

I have noticed that this year I am having to use a lot more acid than last year. I think this may be due to the fact that I had a slow leak last year that I did not know about and have since fixed. I guess the water my autofill was adding was just the right acidity to keep the pH in balance.

Since this is the first year that I have had to use significant amounts of acid to balance my pH I just want to make sure I am not missing something even though my numbers looks good. For the past 6 weeks or so I have had to add 32 oz of acid every 7-10 days. My pool is large (29000 gallons) but I wanted to make sure this wasn't way out of the norm.

Thanks

Current numbers

FC 4
CC 0
CYA 35
ph 7.5
TA 120
CH 350

A slightly lower TA will probably help. Keep adding acid and it will go down over time. What are you targeting for pH when you add acid?

Your TA is a little high, so that drives the pH up.
Do you have a spill over from the spa to the pool? That causes aeration and the pH to rise.

Are you using the tablets in the Rainbow? I hope not, but those are acidic, so usually low pH is more of a problem.

I'd call that low. I use that much on a pool half your size. Part of the problem is the high TA. Once you get it driven down to 70ish or less, the pH should stay even more stable. There's no reason to rush, just knock pH down to 7.2 every week and TA will come down.

A slightly lower TA will probably help. Keep adding acid and it will go down over time. What are you targeting for pH when you add acid?

Usually targeting 7.5

- - - Updated - - -

Your TA is a little high, so that drives the pH up.
Do you have a spill over from the spa to the pool? That causes aeration and the pH to rise.

Are you using the tablets in the Rainbow? I hope not, but those are acidic, so usually low pH is more of a problem.

No tablets.

Small spillover with hot tub (maybe an inch), but I am getting more aeration from the water slide.

Aeration should drive my TA down, correct?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.