Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lot of Acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Lot of Acid

So this is my second year following TFP protocol. Started both years with a SLAM and everything has been going well.

I have noticed that this year I am having to use a lot more acid than last year. I think this may be due to the fact that I had a slow leak last year that I did not know about and have since fixed. I guess the water my autofill was adding was just the right acidity to keep the pH in balance.

Since this is the first year that I have had to use significant amounts of acid to balance my pH I just want to make sure I am not missing something even though my numbers looks good. For the past 6 weeks or so I have had to add 32 oz of acid every 7-10 days. My pool is large (29000 gallons) but I wanted to make sure this wasn't way out of the norm.

Thanks

Current numbers

FC 4
    CC 0
    CYA 35
    ph 7.5
    TA 120
    CH 350
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Lot of Acid

A slightly lower TA will probably help. Keep adding acid and it will go down over time. What are you targeting for pH when you add acid?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Your TA is a little high, so that drives the pH up.
    Do you have a spill over from the spa to the pool? That causes aeration and the pH to rise.

Are you using the tablets in the Rainbow? I hope not, but those are acidic, so usually low pH is more of a problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd call that low. I use that much on a pool half your size. Part of the problem is the high TA. Once you get it driven down to 70ish or less, the pH should stay even more stable. There's no reason to rush, just knock pH down to 7.2 every week and TA will come down.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

I add a gallon a week currently, but we will see if my new balance will help. My TA is currently 80 before anyone asks.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    A slightly lower TA will probably help. Keep adding acid and it will go down over time. What are you targeting for pH when you add acid?
    Usually targeting 7.5

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Your TA is a little high, so that drives the pH up.
    Do you have a spill over from the spa to the pool? That causes aeration and the pH to rise.

Are you using the tablets in the Rainbow? I hope not, but those are acidic, so usually low pH is more of a problem.
    No tablets.

Small spillover with hot tub (maybe an inch), but I am getting more aeration from the water slide.

Aeration should drive my TA down, correct?
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

7. Back To Top    #7

Adding acid drives down TA. Aeration takes pH back up. Rinse, repeat.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!