Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Rates for Varibale Speed Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Rates for Varibale Speed Pump

I just had Heliocol Solar panels as well as a new Pentair 2 VST pump installed, and I am wondering what is a optimal flow rate for turning my pool 13,000 Gallons). I currently have it set (Pool Only) at 1600 RPM for 6 hours, and higher when the Solar kicks on. I am just trying to see how low I can go (RPMs).
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flow Rates for Varibale Speed Pump

Remember that solar heating is more efficient at higher flow rates.

The solar panels generally want about 1GPM per 10sqft. It is not trivial for calculate the actual flow rate though.

As long as the panels are cool to the touch, you have enough flow rate. You also need to be sure not to go too low as air could be sucked in through the vacuum release valve (VRV).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The Pump has a set speed set by the the Solar installer when the solar turns on, and another speed set for filtering just the pool. He set the pool only at 1600 RPM for 6 hours, and I am curious to see if I can lower that to 1100/1200 for 8 hours. Just trying to take advantage of the VS pump and cost savings on wattage.
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

When the solar is off, you can run as low as you want. 8 hours is likely overkill.

You still just have the PoolMaster test kit in your signature?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

You could probably just shut off the pump after solar is done and never notice a difference. The only reason I run 4 hours per day is because of solar. During the winter months I run only 1 hour per day.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater