Pump & Plumb rework flow questions

PNWDad

Apr 14, 2016
Portland, OR
Hi,
I'm moving my pump & filter to the backside of our pool house- outdoors. The current inlet and outlet plumbing through the slab are pictured. My plan is to replace the 4 ball valves with pentair diverter valves, then bring the two 1 1/2 inch outlets into a 2 inch T (do the same for the inlet) so that my pluming to the pump --> filter --> heater will utilize the maximum diameter of each tool (2 inch PVC). I'm know plumber, but the current setup is bringing two 1 1/2 inch lines to a 1 1/2 inch T, it seems it would be better to bring the two 1 1/2 lines into something as large as possible to prevent bottlenecks. Does this make sense, will it make a difference?

A second question, do check valves reduce flow?

Thanks for your input.
PNWdad

View attachment 47872
View attachment 47873

Hard to see the flow. Are there 2 suction and 2 return lines?

I agree that I would transition the 1.5" lines into a 2" Tee and use 2" for everything on the pad.

You could get rid of the ball valves completely and just use 3-way valves in place of the proposed 2" Tees. Then you only need to buy 2 valves instead of 4.

Thanks for the reply, yes, there are 2 suction and 2 return lines. I would like to use 3-way valves, but the suction and return lines are set 4 inches apart. I cannot see a way to plumb into the 3 way without doing some odd turns. Recommendations? If not, the pentair 2 way valves are about 30 bucks each and could just replace the ball valves that are present.

I think Jandy has some narrower valves, they may not be Neverlube though. Street elbows might help, but I agree it might be a tight fit and require getting creative.

Although if you are moving everything a distance away, the valves do not have to be right there. You could add more plumbing and put the valve further away where you make room for it.

Good points, I'm thinking I will have to use a couple of 22.5 or 45 elbows to create an offset just to get the 2 in T in place. I've thought about moving the diverters by running the pipes out a bit further, but not sure it is worth the trouble over just doing the 2 ways. Are there any advantages to a 3 way besides price?

Just easier to dial in the flow you want without having to turn 2 valves ... and the 3-way can not be set to cause a dead-head condition where water can not move.

You could go vertical, have one of the pipes come straight up into one of the side ports, then have the other pipe go up higher and use 2 90s to com down into the other side port.

That is a good suggestion. I don't know much about flow, seems that nothing here will be Ideal, but would reversing the direction of flow in such a short distance restrict flow from the pipe that is doing the two 90s?

Just easier to dial in the flow you want without having to turn 2 valves ... and the 3-way can not be set to cause a dead-head condition where water can not move.

You could go vertical, have one of the pipes come straight up into one of the side ports, then have the other pipe go up higher and use 2 90s to com down into the other side port.

It will not make hardly any difference. If the valve fit between the 2 pipes, each side would have to make a 90 turn into the valve. The vertical suggest would have one side make 2 turns and the other 0. Bottom line, it would not be noticeable.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finished the rework, that was a lot of frigging work by the way. I underestimated the amount of brain juice a novice would need to apply to figure out connections in 3 dimensions. Everything is up and running, the new VS pump is great, I believe the larger PVC is also making a difference, no doubt the larger filter is making a difference. I was able to reduce the number of 90 degree fittings by 75%, though my runs are longer by a few feet. On the threaded pump fittings I used "great white" paste, I do have a small leak on the outflow threaded union (tiny leak) but I'm wondering what others use, I tightened by hand and then 1 turn with a wrench. Perhaps PTFE tape would be better than the paste?
I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

Yeah, the planning can be tricky.

Sounds like it should have less headloss and allow you to run at slower speeds for the same flow rate.

Look forward to seeing the pictures.

I need some advice on this question:
"On the threaded pump fittings I used "great white" paste, I do have a small leak on the outflow threaded union (tiny leak) but I'm wondering what others use, I tightened by hand and then 1 turn with a wrench. Perhaps PTFE tape would be better than the paste?'

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.