New to Forum - Possible Algae Problem

NickR5

Apr 14, 2016
Ormond Beach
Hi:

I recently joined the Trouble Free Pool site and I've learned a lot about maintaining in-ground pools. The Pool School and Pool Math sections are absolutely invaluable. I have one question that I do not see covered in any of the Forum Topics or in the Table Of Contents. I noticed some green algae-like growth in the corners above the waterline and and around the waterfall outlets. The water appeared to clear. I was advised by my local pool supply (Pinch-a-Penny) to add an algaecide and then shock the pool using 10% hypo. Before doing so I brushed the greenish growth using a stiff bristled brush which was dipped into the 10% hypo solution. I also brushed the rest of the pool walls above the waterline with the hypo solution. The green growth has not returned to the corners or the waterfall outlets since treatment; however, there seems something growing on the grout above the water line. I've treated it with 10% hypo, but the green material is appearing in the untreated areas. Could this be an algae problem or just a staining problem.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

Welcome! :wave:

It sounds like algae. Areas that get wet but aren't submerged in chlorine water can develop it, especially rough areas like rocks and mortar and grout. No different than a tiled shower, really.

The algaecide will only work if the areas are constantly exposed to it. Since they aren't, save your money.

It looks like a spray bottle of bleach water and a scrub brush are in your future. It won't be so bad when the water is warm enough to get in. Sit on a pool noodle and just slide around spritzing and scrubbing at a convenient work height rather than on your knees leaning over the edge.