Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to Forum - Possible Algae Problem

1. Back To Top    #1

New to Forum - Possible Algae Problem

Hi:

I recently joined the Trouble Free Pool site and I've learned a lot about maintaining in-ground pools. The Pool School and Pool Math sections are absolutely invaluable. I have one question that I do not see covered in any of the Forum Topics or in the Table Of Contents. I noticed some green algae-like growth in the corners above the waterline and and around the waterfall outlets. The water appeared to clear. I was advised by my local pool supply (Pinch-a-Penny) to add an algaecide and then shock the pool using 10% hypo. Before doing so I brushed the greenish growth using a stiff bristled brush which was dipped into the 10% hypo solution. I also brushed the rest of the pool walls above the waterline with the hypo solution. The green growth has not returned to the corners or the waterfall outlets since treatment; however, there seems something growing on the grout above the water line. I've treated it with 10% hypo, but the green material is appearing in the untreated areas. Could this be an algae problem or just a staining problem.. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
    30' X 12' in-ground (12,000 gal) pool - equipment: 3 .0 HP Pentair variable speed pump, Pentair Rainbow automatic Chlorinator, Pentair 150 sqft cartridge filter, 2 floor drains, 1 skimmer, 3 below water returns & 3 waterfalls

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to Forum - Possible Algae Problem

Welcome!

It sounds like algae. Areas that get wet but aren't submerged in chlorine water can develop it, especially rough areas like rocks and mortar and grout. No different than a tiled shower, really.

The algaecide will only work if the areas are constantly exposed to it. Since they aren't, save your money.

It looks like a spray bottle of bleach water and a scrub brush are in your future. It won't be so bad when the water is warm enough to get in. Sit on a pool noodle and just slide around spritzing and scrubbing at a convenient work height rather than on your knees leaning over the edge.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to Forum - Possible Algae Problem

Thanks for the confirmation. Good to know I'm on the right track.
    30' X 12' in-ground (12,000 gal) pool - equipment: 3 .0 HP Pentair variable speed pump, Pentair Rainbow automatic Chlorinator, Pentair 150 sqft cartridge filter, 2 floor drains, 1 skimmer, 3 below water returns & 3 waterfalls