Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding DE to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding DE to sand filter

Looking for some advice on adding DE to my sand filter. I've been slamming for about 2 weeks. FC is holding pretty steady at this point and CC has been 0 for a week. Water has not cleared up though. I deep cleaned the sand and yesterday afternoon decided to add a little DE to help speed up the process. My pressure gauge sits in between 12 and 13 psi after a backwash so I added enough DE to raise pressure to 14. It stayed at 14 for about ten minutes so I went inside. Came back out 20 minutes later to check, so 30 minutes after adding DE, and pressure had risen to 24! I backwashed out immediately and have not added more DE. Did the addition just catch that much junk in 30 minutes or did I do something wrong?
    IG vinyl liner, 26,000 gallon, Heyward sand filter with 1.5 HP pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding DE to sand filter

I recommend not adding DE to your filter while slamming. It will cause you to have to backwash more frequently, and each time you do you have to re-add it. I would just leave it alone. And it appears you just found this out.

For me to add 1 PSI to my 600 lb filter, it takes 1 cup of DE.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

you are running your pump 24/7 right?

if you have a main drain, open it up all the way, that does make a difference.

During a slam my pool went from unable to see 1 foot down clouded to crystal clear in
    3 days with the pump running 24/7 and the main drain open.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes I'm running the pump 24/7. My main drain was open but I'm pretty sure it was covered with leaves until yesterday. I turned the main off for about 10 mins and ran my hose powered leaf catcher over it and filled the bag about half way. I think the suction was preventing me from getting them with the vacuum previously. I reopened the main yesterday afternoon so hopefully I'll see some improvement after work today.

Thanks!
    IG vinyl liner, 26,000 gallon, Heyward sand filter with 1.5 HP pump