TFP Expert
Apr 29, 2016
Quaker Hill, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I will be filling my pool with well water. My well water has a low ph of 5.8 right from the well. I actually have a calcite filter to raise the ph of the water in the house which I will be bypassing when I fill the pool. My question is since I will have known acidic water to start with and want to add borates to the pool can I just use the borax to raise the ph. As opposed to raising the ph with soda ash or other similar chemical then doing the borax and MA dance after that.

You need to be a little careful because the act of filling is going to aerate the water which could bring the ph up some. But your plan to use borax is also acceptable just keep track of how much you use you can estimate your borate level.

From our Recommended Chemicals page:
PH can be raised in three ways: borax, soda ash, and aeration. Borax is usually the best choice. Borax raises the PH and also raises the TA level just a little. If your TA level is low soda ash will raise both the PH and TA levels. If your TA level is high, aeration is best as it will not raise the TA level at all. However, aeration is rather slow compared to the other two.

I have a TF test kit already maybe I will run some tests on my well water just to play with it. I wont know for sure where the TA will end up till after the pool gets filled tho. I've been trying to get as educated as I can on the chemistry before I need to start doing it. Also the 4 weeks it took my town to give me a permit has left me getting antsy to be done with this project. The weather in the northeast is finally coming around.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.