Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction side air leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Tybee Island, GA

Suction side air leak

I have an elusive air leak. I have changed all fittings from the pump suction inlet to the point where the suction pipe goes underground back to the skimmer. New skimmer weir, all new els, and couplings and gaskets with the exception of the pot lid and gasket which i have on order. If the new lid and gasket do not solve the problem, any ideas on what i might try next prior to digging up pipes and breaking up concrete?
    In case its important, the wall fitting in the deep end where the water returns to the pool has lots of air bubbles while the one on the shallow end does not.

C Phillips

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Suction side air leak

Hi Carroll and welcome to TFP! To help us better, can you please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

We're going to need some of that info in an effort to try and get you some good guidance. As for the air bubbles from one return and not the other ... I don't see that as a huge thing in itself yet. Your plumbing may dictate where air can come out when returns are plumbed on the same line. Mine is that way, so the first returns to have air comes across them are the ones spitting-out the air bubbles. But we'll try to help you as soon as we know more about your equipment.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Northeast Arkansas

Re: Suction side air leak

Lid gasket is most likely the culprit *Crosses fingers*.
    Oh and I had bubbles coming out one return last year and replacing the spider gasket fixed it.
    17,500 gal. IG Fiberglass
    Triton II Model TR60 sand filter
    1.5 hp Century Centurion B229SE motor, Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump
    Hayward 3/4 hp model 6060 booster pump
    Polaris 280,TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir