Hayward SP3400VSP technical question

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
My Hayward EcoStar VSP did not start-up yesterday morning as it usually does. When trying to start the pump, it makes a 1-2 sec grind/grunt sound, then no more. This is the error code I received:

DRIVE ERROR: DRV FAILED TO START.

Here is the Hayward tech manual recommendations w this code:

Indicates that the drive was not able to start the motor. Pump will attempt to start three times before stall error is displayed. Check to be sure motor shaft turns freely. Check motor connections to drive (page 4) to insure a good connection.
If pump is being controlled via data link to a Hayward/Goldline Controller, disconnect the com ground wire between terminal 1 with EcoStar and terminal 4 with Hayward/Goldline Control (page 10). If no change check to insure other data wires are connected correctly (page 10).
If error still exists remove all data links and run Standalone. Check values in Diagnosis menu and if they are all (0) check connection between interface and drive.
If error still exists remove the Blue, Black and Red wires (page 4) from the drive and check each motor lead to ground. There should be no continuity. Check continuity from lead to lead. Ohms reading should be between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms max. If any of these readings are outside limits, replace motor. If they are within range, replace drive.

Now, I pulled out the pump strainer screen and tried seeing if anything was caught in the impeller area. Nothing. When I replaced the screen and locked the top back on, obviously the water level was no long up to the top of the transparent screen. Now when I tried turning it on, it reads:

DRIVE ERROR: PUMP HAS STALLED

Here is the Hayward tech manual recommendations w this code:

Check impeller and motor shaft for freedom of movement. If free, remove the Blue, Black and Red wires (page 4) from the drive and check each motor lead to ground. There should be no continuity. Next, check continuity from lead to lead. Ohms reading should be between 0.5 and 1.0 ohms max. If any of these readings are outside limits, replace motor. If they are within range, replace drive.

I am assuming that since the water level is lower now, it is detecting that pump tried priming and could not do so, so the pump quit trying to prime itself. Either way, by performing the continuity tests, this should provide the tech [that is coming later this morning] w the info that either the motor or drive is bad, regardless of the prior ERROR CODE or the current ERROR CODE, correct?

I would be interested in all Hayward SP3400VSP owners, if you could tell me how long you have had your EcoStar VSP, and what, if any, problems have you had and what was/were the resolution/s? Unfortunately I have read a lot of reviews where this pump has had major issues w the drives failing w/in 1-2 yrs and many w multiple failures of the drive. NOTE: My pump was installed Oct 2014, but not activated until Feb 2015.

Thank you very much,
tstex

****UPDATE****

The tech arrived and replaced the drive, but same thing. So he pulled the motor and the drive shaft is frozen. Pump is 15 months old. What the X is wrong w this? What would cause the motor to lock-up on almost a brand new motor?

If the motor is replaced and it does not start-up, then he'll replace the drive too. I'll keep you posted.

thanks

Yes, very odd to have the motor replaced barely after a year. Hayward made good on it and everything was done under warranty.

Since all is direct connected, what would be the best surge protection options along w not receiving a nasty-gram from manufacturer that says what I did voids warranty of "caused the issue" if there's a next one? It's also 220....thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.