New Filters: Pressure Doen't Change

May 11, 2016
Houston
Hello all, I'm new here but lurking for some time now. Glad I finally made the plunge to sign up! :)

My issue is frustrating. Recently one of my Pentair filters started to collapse in on itself. I ran like this for a little while since the ends where still mostly intact and the water was clearing up. Well, I finally ordered a new set (4) of Pleatco filters, rinsed them off a little, installed them, and started up the pump. I made note of the pressure gauge on top of the cartridge. It was at 14 PSI. I also noticed there was a few more bubbles/cavitation/noise from the strainer/impeller/motor. I figured it was because of the filters.

2 days later, the water was green again and I noticed the pressure did not change from base pressure of 14 PSI. I dumped more shock (~4 lbs) and cleared skimmer, strainer, rinsed the filters (which were green also). I verified the output exhausts where shooting out water as usual. Scrubbed the sides of the pool and called it a day.

The next day after work, again, I noticed the water was turning greenish. Noticed the PSI still unchanged at 14 PSI. Rinsed filters, checked skimmer, strainer, impeller, and dumped more shock into the pool. Started up the pump once more. Still at 14 PSI.

And.... again the next day after work... water was again green with PSI at 14. I was frustrated. I removed the filters, rinsed them off, installed the OLD ones, and started up the pump. Added a couple more pounds of shock. Viola! The pressure started increasing and eventually settled around 33 PSI. The water cleared up overnight.

Could it be that the new filters are defective? Are they letting everything through? Here is a pic:

IMG_8589.jpg

Here is what I have:

Old filters: Pentair R17-3578
New filters: Pleatco PCC130

Cartridge: Pentair CCP520

Pump motor: I believe it's a .5 HP or 1.5 HP... I will double check.

Pool size: 35K gallons.

What do ya'll think? I would greatly appreciate any tips, advise, knowledge, wisdom. Thanks!

I suspect you have a couple issues going on:
1 - Algae; green = algae and you need to perform a SLAM as noted in the link below in my signature
2 - Possible bad gauge. They do go bad, so maybe yours did. They are not too much to replace. In fact, you can order a nice one from TFTestkits.net if you like.

But no amount of filtering or rinsing off filters will resolve your algae. I had that personal experience in my early days before TFP. As long as you have the right test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C), the SLAM is what you want to do. IT will also take a LOT of stress off of those filters. :)

Green water is a chemical issue and has nothing to do with your filters.

33psi is excessive and indicates bad or dirty filters or a bad pressure gauge.

Thank you for the responses. The strange thing is that when I install the new filters and shock the pool, the water is green a day or two later....

However, when I swapped out the new ones with the old ones... and shock the pool... the water is still clear a day or two later...

The algae disappears when I use/leave the old Pentair filters. Not sure if that makes sense.

Now, I haven't done the SLAM procedure as Texas Splash suggested. My usual procedure is to run a sample over to my pool supply to be tested. I will also take a pic of the water and post it here.

Again thank you very much for the advice! :)

I think that is just a coincidence and timing of the chlorine working. Filters don't clear green algae from a pool chlorine does. Dead algae can certainly clog up a filter quickly and the cartridges can turn green but the issue is lack of chlorine in the pool at proper ans sustained levels. I have the same Pleatco advanced cartridges and they are great, they can take a beating and keep flowing, easy to clean also. It takes a lot to clog them to a point where the pressure will increase.

Please add your state to your location so it shows up over there <-----, climate is an important factor when we are helping you with your pool.

Also, you can add all your pool info to your signature and it will show up on each post, you won't have to keep typing it and we won't have to keep looking for it. More here on adding a sig, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.