Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBB user, cloudiness *PICS and NUMBERS*

1. Back To Top    #1

BBB user, cloudiness *PICS and NUMBERS*

BBB method for 3-4 years
    22' AG Intex pool
    Cartridge filter (sand setup got taken by a flood, using cartridge setup for opening)
    8,200 gal
    Pool did not get covered over the winter. Work away from home prevented me from doing so.
    Located Southern WV

SLAMed for 3 days at FC 15, noticed a bit of change then been slaming at 25-30 FC for mustard algae. Not sure if that's what I have, but water kinda looked like it. Been cleaning the filter and running 24/7. Brushing and dip netting pool too.

FC drops 5ppm overnight.

TFTESTKIT 100
    Ph 7.6
    CYA 50
    FC 25
    CC 2
    TA 90
    Calcium 120

Not sure what to do now. Try store algaecide? Drain, clean with bleach and refill?

Thanks
    10k gallon 22' AG Vinyl, 2k got Cartridge Filter, Fresh water, BBB Method baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBB user, cloudiness *PICS and NUMBERS*

Keep SLAMing. Test and add chlorine as often as you can, at least 3-4 times per day and brush daily.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Keep up the SLAM process. Looks like getting there.
    Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

That's not mustard algae. Are you following the guide lines in the SLAM article exactly? You have to keep redosing your pool more often than I think you are.

No algaecide. Looks like perhaps you used some already but no more.

Keep SLAMming
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Too me, that filter set up looks woefully undersized for the pool. It will take ages to filter out all the dead algae and complete the SLAM. Any other options for replacement since your sand filter is gone?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

SLAM level for 50 ppm CYA is 20 ppm FC. Looks like your first 3 days at 15 FC were just keeping it at bay.

Do you have some way to vacuum your pool to waste?
    25,000 gallon freeform gunnite/plaster, built in the 1970s/80s; Sta-Rite 9463004 575-lb. sand filter; Sta-Rite DuraGlas/Max-E-Glas (P2RA5F-125L) single-speed 1.5 HP pump, manufactured 12/1993 (1M93M).
    Helpful links: TFTestKits; Pool School; ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry; Chlorine/CYA Chart; PoolMath; SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

7. Back To Top    #7

Clean the filter everyday and monitor FC at least 3x day. Been keeping the FC up to 25-30. The water is cloudy like glacier or snow melt water now. I'd get a new sand setup, but I'm planning on moving this year.

8. Back To Top    #8

What cartridge are you using in it? The intex are not reusable ... and are horrible. Aftermarket are better.

Honestly it may take a LONG time (if ever) to get clear water with that filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Intex B. Honestly at this point I'm thinking about draining it and calling the fire department to come fill it back up. I know the rinky dink pump/filter combo (actually the pump on this setup flows more than sand pumps for this setup) will run it just fine with a stable BBB pool because I've done it before. Rather than spend a couple hundred dollars on a new pump (that I won't take with me when I move because I plan on a IG BIG pool,) more chemicals and testing chemicals, it'd be cheaper and less hassle to refill it. Thanks anyhow fellas.

What would be the proper way to clean and disinfect it after draining it?

10. Back To Top    #10

The problem with the fire dept is that the water may be worse than what you have. Sometimes that water has been sitting in the pipes for a long time. We've seen some bad fire department refills here. If they can tell you that the water is clean and iron free then go for it. I would raise CYA to 30 and do a quick SLAM.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

BBB user, cloudiness *PICS and NUMBERS*

Got a sand filter pump (2800gph, 0.5 cu/sand)

Here's the numbers and pic after running filter and vacuuming non stop. The wife and I are at our wits end trying to clear the cloudiness up. She looks at me like there's something I can do with the chemicals or should be adding a chemical I'm not thinking of and I don't know what to say. All the numbers look right except for the FC loss overnight. Thanks

FC 9.5 (down 4.5 from last night)
    CC 0.5
    Ph 8.2 (ph spiked last night for some reason, it did rain)
    TA 80
    Cya 40

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

All the numbers look right except for the FC loss overnight.
    Yes, but that's exactly what you want the test to do.....tell you if you are consuming chlorine through organics.

Chlorine is lost 2 ways. Organics in your pool or UV light. When you eliminate the UV, the inescapable conclusion is that you have organics in your water.

Keep the FC at SLAM value ALL THE TIME and I promise you that pool will clear (you are not that far off judging by the pics)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. As of now I adjusted pH and of course added chlorine to SLAM levels. Vacuumed, brushed, skimmed several times. Tic-Toc goes the clock I guess.

14. Back To Top    #14

Update
    Ph 7.3
    FC 14.5 ( <1 ppm overnight )
    CC 1

Having to backwash filter ever 2 hrs or so. Literally after 2 hrs there's barely any water moving at all.

With no chlorine being consumed overnight, CC in check, all other levels being good, do I have too much **** in my water to filter?

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

You might want to overshoot your target of 16 a little so you don't fall below. Keep on keeping on, it looked pretty green, it will take some time to clear it.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

16. Back To Top    #16

No need to overshoot the shock level FC for your CYA level.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

Wife reported the water was clear enough to barely make out this pile of leaves in the center at the bottom of the pool. The FC loss is about down to 1.5ppm per 12hrs. Keep on keepin' on..

18. Back To Top    #18

Getting those last leaves out will help a bit. Less wasted FC breaking those down. Keep at it!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

No amount of bleach, vacuuming, filtering could get the water clear. Backed up and punted.

20. Back To Top    #20

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. SLAM works.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast