Newly installed Above ground pool filling with water, When can we start using?

May 7, 2016
Winder
I am so excited to finally have new above ground pool installed in my back yard, but I have several questions that I cannot find the answer to on here. This is an amazing forum and I have learned so much already from Pool School!
1. When the pool finally fills up with water (hope today), how long do we need to wait before getting in? The installer said that the sand needed to settle for a few days, like 6 days? Is that really necessary?
2. I have an "power ionizer" and I am a little confused on what needs to be added and when. I was told to put in 40# salt and one package shock to start off with. How long after adding may we get in the pool? I was then told to do oxidizer every other week alternating with shock? What is the generic oxidizer?
3. We have a graded area and about a 1/4 of the pool is about 1.5 feet deep into the ground. Should we back fill that part (it will be covered with deck) and we were told our pool is ok to go ingound up to 2 feet. It is a Regency from Recreational Warehouse.
Can you tell I am anxious and excited to get in?
0509161602-00[1].jpg0510161526-00[1].jpg

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Well, the first decision to make is how you are going to maintain your pool. The "power ionizer" is a copper/silver system that is not normally recommended with our methods of pool care. If you are going to use it and follow their instructions I would defer to the pool builder who sold you the system as to how to start it up and maintain it.

As far as backfilling, again you need to talk with Recreational Warehouse to determine it the make/model you purchased will have any warranty issues if your partially bury it.

Thank you, I have now read about ionizers in your forum and see the information about it. The reason I chose it (before discovering TFP :)) is that I am really sensitive to chemicals and it seems to be the method that uses the least amount of chlorine. I am totally open to suggestions/methods that will work!!
The manufacturer says to add a gallon of conditioner? Is that borox?

Most pools you've ever swam in were probably not maintained as well as TFP suggest a residential pool be maintained. You've probably never seen TFP water or swam in it. It looks a lot like this...

FB_IMG_1463025698308.jpg

We add only what our pools need and not outrageous doses of chlorine. If you would like to try and maintain your pool the TFP way, we highly suggest you purchase a TF100 and read the ABC's of Pool water chemistry in pool school to get started. If you are going to use the other system, you'll have to refer to the pool store, unfortunately n you may end up back here before to long wanting help to fix your water.

Congratulations on your new pool! It's always so exciting! My husband, granddaughter n I love our pool!

Can you get a refund for that system? I would try to. Then get your own test kit and save yourself a lot of headache in the long run.

As for not getting in for about 6 days........do you have a warranty with the installer? If you do you HAVE to follow his directions. If you do not ......

Let us know if you want to do TFP or the system that adds metals to your water that can cause green hair and stains on your pool.

Kim:cat:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.