Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Slamming

1. Back To Top    #1

Richmond, KY

This is my third year with TFPC, and I no longer buy any pool chemicals! This year promises to the be very best balanced, most beautiful pool ever! I have one question about my SLAM though.
    Prior to SLAM:
    CYA (after emptying pool 75%): An amazing 55!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I will NEVER use pucks again!)
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    FC 7
    (We SLAMMED after draining for CYA and refilling).

SLAMMED to 23 (FC 7/CYA 55 =SLAM 23)
    Last Night FC 23
    This Morning FC 21 (Drop of 2 ppm)
    No CC's
    Water crystal clear

My question: We had a TERRIBLE storm last night that dumped a lot of leaves, pollens, sticks in the pool. We got most of it out, but then it hit again overnight and dumped on us again. With that in mind, would an FC drop of 2 be acceptable? If not, do I need to get FC up over, say 25-26 to be sure?
    13,770 gal, AG pool-steel sides, vinyl, 24' round, Hayward Perflex Extended Cycle DE Filter, Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP, Type SP, TFT Test Kit-T100.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: Slamming

If the water is clear, holds FC overnight (OCLT) and your CC is <= 0.5 you don't need to SLAM.
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Before I did a SLAM I would do an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to verify. Clean it out, including skimmers and bring the FC up to 10 as the sun sets toninght. Test & re-test in the morning. That difference will tell if you need to SLAM.

If you do have to SLAM your target is 24 with 60 as your CYA.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Roseville, CA

I had an 8 day slam recently with 50 CYA... i had a few nights with a -2 or -3 OCLT. I just couldn't get to -1 or less, as it would go from 20 to 18 or 17. clear of course and <.5 in all cases, just above 1 OCLT....When i FINALLY used TWO heaping/good size spoonfuls of reagent instead of 1, my tests seemed to be a little more accurate. That was an additional note in the instructions that i must have missed or ignored (use more with higher PPM). Now that I am back down to 4-6, i still use one heaping.
    14,250 IG Plaster (re-do coming soon, i see concrete in a few places) I do get what appears to be "sand" in bottom of filter, about a spray paint can lid full over a month) Sta-Rite S7M120 Filter, Century SQ1102 pump. solar heat (roof tubes) figure 8 kinda shape, waterfall at deep end at bench (rarely used, but now understand i can raise ph with it), Hayward Vac Ulta, Sacramento, CA