HELP!!!!! Pool flooded :(

So...
My water was perfect (Pool already opened).
We had a big storm last night with flash floods.hail etc....
Preventing this from happening again will be the topic of another thread.

The pool now has dirt in it.
I can still see the bottom of the shallow end.
I skimmed off the surface of the water already and am not running the filter.
The water level is almost to the top of the edge.

My plan is to let the dirt settle and vacuum to waste.
Any other tips? Would like for this to not take a month.
Should I shock?

THANKS

When you figure out how to prevent the flash floods and hail, please let me know. :)

It sounds like you are on the right track. Run the filter, vacuum to waste, and test to see what your balance is. You may not need to SLAM.

If you can brush everything to the deep end you will have a smaller area to vacuum. If the water is clear (once settled), your CC is <= 0.5 and you can pass the OCLT you don't need to SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You get to go shopping..............for right now any gauge is better than a broken gauge. You can buy a cheap one at Lowes until your good one comes in. BELIEVE me that the Good one is worth it! I have gone through 4 Lowes ones since I have had this pool. I broke down and got the gel filled one and it is MUCH better and has already lasted longer than any ONE of the cheap ones.

You can also get a skimmer sock from Lowes while you are there OR you can get XL knee highs from Walmart until your hair nets come in.

These will go over your skimmer basket to help the filter out.

Kim:cat:

So...
My water was perfect (Pool already opened).

Should I shock?

THANKS

These statements lead me to believe the OP does not understand the TFP method nor does he do his own testing with a TFP approved test kit.

We don't shock here, we SLAM. Based off your description of what happened, it sounds like you may have a lot of both organic and inorganic material in your pool that needs to be oxidized and filtered.

I would say yes, you need to start a slam, as well as running your filter constantly. The heavier particles should still sink, just aim your jets to not create much turbulence on your pool floor, then vac to waste.

Post some good test numbers for us please.

--Thomas

I do own my own test kit. I meant the water was perfect BEFORE last night.

I don't understand the SLAM yet though...ill get there.

Just did the basic test just now and PH was 7.5, FC between 3 and 5.
I pool raked and vacuumed to waste and added a skimmer sock.

It looks a LOT less grim now that part of the bottom is cleaner (it isn't brown now).
But the water is cloudy.

Will do a more thorough test later

Lots of great advice already ... probably don't need another spoon in the mix. :stirpot: But I will add that during this transition time of clean-up, even if you don't need to do a full SLAM (link below), you might wish to increase FC a little more than normal just to help the water stay on-top of any organic activity that may be trying to find a new home. Other than that, I think you have plenty of good advice already. Here in Texas we had many such scenarios last month - just ask Houston. See here: Help After Flood

:swim: Good luck!

I do own my own test kit. I meant the water was perfect BEFORE last night.

I don't understand the SLAM yet though...ill get there.

Just did the basic test just now and PH was 7.5, FC between 3 and 5.

Just curious, what kind of test kit do you have? FC between 3 and 5???? Sounds like test strips.

SLAM is easy....

A SLAM keeps the FC super high to kill off any algee.....You cant just throw a bag of shock in there and expect it to clear your pool. You need to keep the FC super high long enough to kill everything. Hence the S.L.A.M S-hock L-evel A-nd M-aintain. The MAINTAIN is the key to the SLAM. Once you keep the FC at SLAM level for X number of days and your water is super clear, there is an overnight test you run to make sure nothing is eating your FC. Its called the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test....OCLT If your FC is 10 in the evening and you wake up and test it and its still 10 or even 9, then you pass. If it drops to 6 or 8 or something, then you still have stuff growing in there.

Its all explained in Pool School.

EDIT:

Here you go....Read here....How to SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.