Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Covers - The 'economy' version

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Covers - The 'economy' version

Folks,
    What do you all think about the bubble wrap style of covers? Things Like

1. Longevity

2. Do you have to buy a reel? If so does it need to be the width of the cover or are these covers flexible enough to wind onto a smaller reel without damage. Or can you just manhandle them when required, my pool is about 35 ft by 12 ft or so, figure of 8 shape.

3. General performance.

4. Links to one you have used and liked.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in Houston so it stays pretty hot here.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Covers - The 'economy' version

They work great, but generally you only get a couple of years out of one.

You want a reel and you want it wider than the cover. Manhandling these covers without a reel is a chore.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

We generally recommend clear and thin for easier handling. I got my 8 mil, clear cover from Sunplay.com. Put it on for the first time last night.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I cut mine in 2 and built an in pool roller using the method mas985 came up with, cost about $35 HERE is his build Thread. The only thing I did different was I used stainless steal screws because the plastic clips were too expensive. This is our first year with the pool but it seem like we will only be using the cover April and May then perhaps towards the end of the season I think mid season it might get too hot if we leave it on all the time.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

-Ours is a blue colored cover.
    - Going on 3 yrs now and no signs of life issues or anything.
    - I only use mine for about 2 months total, in April/May and then in Sept. I found storing it and cleaning it properly before storing it out of the elements tends to help its life.
    - Originally had it as one solid cover but manhandling that beast was a chore! Cut it into 3 sections which are easily handled and can sit on the side of the pool when in use and easily placed back on at end of day.
    Its a "must" when using a heater and I like how if we go out of town for a few days or get busy the cover will capture any leaf/tree debris on top keeping the pool cleaner.
    18x30 Freeform In-ground Vinyl Lined. 11,500 gallons.
    4 returns, 2 skimmers, 2 main drains.
    Hayward TriStar 1hp 2-Speed Pump. Hayward S244T Filter.Hayward Goldline Panel + SWG.
    Polaris 280 cleaner. AquaComfort 75k BTU Heatpump
    TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

I like blue covers because it shields the chlorine from uv and thus use a bit less bleach during the season.

The water just beneath the cover still gets plenty warm when the sun is on it all day.

8 mil is the way to go as others said...much easier to handle.

I now get them on ebay because you can save usually 30 to 40 bucks.

The one I just got (16x32, Oval, 8 mil, blue) was on ebay for 67 dollars buy it now & FREE shipping!

That same company selling on ebay, I checked their website and that exact cover sells for 99. So they
    are moving inventory at a discount apparently, if you buy on ebay.

I didn't have a Reel at my last pool/house and it was always messy getting it off and on,
    but the new place had one and wow what a difference that makes. And it's just me taking
    it on and off.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks Folks, much appreciated. I think it's time I got one!

8. Back To Top    #8

Folks,
    Does anyone have a link for a clear 8 mil oval? I'm seeing plenty of blue at oval 16 x 32 but no clear in the 8 mil thickness.

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

That might be tough...when I was looking at mine on ebay, I was curious how much more the clear ones were but
    could not find any in 8 mil, only 12 or thicker.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

Personally, I have found absolutely no difference in heat gain between the blue and clear bubble covers. So I go for lighter weight and cheap rather than color. A couple of years ago, I got two AG pool covers at 5 mil each and they are a breeze to take on and off because they are so light and they have lasted almost two years now but will probably need to be replaced next year.

This is what I use as a roller but it was with my old clear cover: DIY Solar Cover Roller

Here is my new cover (with roller) that looks like two giant solar rings:

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by iceflow View Post
    Folks,
    Does anyone have a link for a clear 8 mil oval? I'm seeing plenty of blue at oval 16 x 32 but no clear in the 8 mil thickness.

Thanks
    Here you go
    Yard Guard Clear Choice Solar Blanket 16' X 32' Clear Oval - 8 Mil | Sunplay.com
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

We used a solar blanket for a few months last year. It worked well but the handling was a pain in the axe.
    It is possible for one person to do it, though.

Your pool is not as wide as ours so maybe it will be easier for you.
    (Ours is ~18' wide. I know that because I recently ordered a reel for the solar blanket.)
    23,000 gallons IG gunite, pebble (I think)
    Hayward SP2610X15 1.5 HP Pump, Hayward sand filter
    Mineral Springs SWCG (it's actually Hayward/Goldline), Hayward Goldline T-CELL-15
    Polaris pool cleaner (with booster pump)
    TF-100, SpeedStir, K-1766 Taylor Salt Test, Lamotte Borate test strips

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool dv and Sparkle , thanks much appreciated.
    Mas985, I had a look yesterday at your reel, looks very good. Your pool looks very similar in style to mine. I'll probably just buy the cover and then see how I go.

Thanks folks

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I bought the cheap Intex branded one and so far it's been good.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir