Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Evaporation question

1. Back To Top    #1

Evaporation question

I read somewhere that evaporation increases with water temperature. But what if the water is cold, but the air even colder. Last night we seem to have lost a quarter of an inch. The water temperature is 55 and the temperature got down to 36 overnight. Would you expect a lot of evaporation in those conditions? I tried the bucket test and I 'think' the bucket lost the same amount of water. I'm just questioning the validity of the test because the evaporation seems somewhat high to me.
    22k gal, IG Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Evaporation question

Evaporation increases more with wind than temperature. And low humidity also plays a factor. What's the weather been like, besides cold at night?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. According to this site Yesterday's and last weeks' weather in Waterloo, Ontario, Canada, the wind was fairly low, averaging around 10 km/h (6 mph) and the humidity was around 50%.
    22k gal, IG Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

A 20 degree difference between the water and the air, and considering cold air can hold less moisture than warmer air, could cause evaporation. I would think that the key will be to see if it continues to lose that much water regularly - then you can start worrying about a leak.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

It is the difference between the water and air vapor pressures that drives evaporation. So if humidity is lower than 100%, the water and air temperatures can be exactly the same and evaporation still occurs.

For those temperatures ranges and humidity, 1/4" is a bit high but if you don't have much of a wind break (e.g. trees, buildings, etc) around the pool, it is possible.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and retry the bucket test tonight.
    22k gal, IG Vinyl