Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Mastertemp 250 Warranty

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Mastertemp 250 Warranty

I have a Pentair Mastertemp 250 that is now entering it's 4th pool season. I went out last night to find the service light on and water leaking from underneath. I'm trying to find what the warranty is on it but all I can find is referencing some card I don't have. Does anyone have any idea what the warranty is on these? I will make a difference who I call for service. I included a picture just in case someone can suggest something else I should check. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Mastertemp 250 Warranty

Looks like something corroded the inside but maybe its fixable.... Have you always had an SWG? cuz I would suspect low ph as a culprit. You sure the drain plug is set properly?

Most heaters have a one-year warranty, 2 at most, and they are predicated on PRISTINE chemistry balance....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I have had a SWG from day 1 and the PH has always been right in the appropriate range. Too bad about the warranty. I was hoping it would have been longer. I'll reach out to one of the service teams. Thank you for your help.
    23,200 gallon in ground pool, Vinyl Liner, Salt Water, Variable Speed Pump Intelliflow 3hp/1.32SF/3.96 SFHP, Filter Pentair FNS PLus DE FNSP36, Heater Pentair Mastertemp 250, SWG Jandy APURE35PLG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

When you got that heater (4 years ago) the warranty i think was just one year. If you bought it yesterday, it would be two, three if you bought all Pentair equipment. Either way, at 4 seasons, you are out of warranty.

You will need to take the jacket off the heater, and remove one of the lower flange bolts to check for water. Or, if you can see water pouring or dripping from the blower inlet, both the blower, and the heat exchanger are done. There is a kit for replacing the exchanger, blower is extra.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    When you got that heater (4 years ago) the warranty i think was just one year. If you bought it yesterday, it would be two, three if you bought all Pentair equipment. Either way, at 4 seasons, you are out of warranty.

You will need to take the jacket off the heater, and remove one of the lower flange bolts to check for water. Or, if you can see water pouring or dripping from the blower inlet, both the blower, and the heat exchange are done. There is a kit for replacing the exchanger, blower is extra.
    We need a "like" button like they have on FB. Glad to see PC is still around!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you have water in the can, scrap the unit and get something better. If you maintained your chemicals like you say, this unit should have lasted way more than 4 years.

Did you check to see if the pressure relief valve was leaking? If your unit was installed with one.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

UPDATE - Had a service tech out and they are telling me it's a cracked heat exchanger. How exactly would that happen on a 3 year old heater?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

How did they determine it was cracked? Did they open up the can and look?

Scrap it and get a Raypak.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

9. Back To Top    #9

They did open it up and said it was cracked. At 3 years old I'm not ready to scrap it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can this be caused by water left in the heater in the fall?

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Aspfam View Post
    They did open it up and said it was cracked. At 3 years old I'm not ready to scrap it.

- - - Updated - - -

Can this be caused by water left in the heater in the fall?
    Yes if you left water in it and it froze it could crack the heat exchanger.

That will be a costly repair.
    Paul

11. Back To Top    #11

Am I better off repairing it or replacing the heater based on the cost? If replacing it what are people finding to be the most reliable brand?

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

A new heat exchanger is probably going to run you about $700 +/- plus the labor. I guess total around $1000.

Raypak.
    Paul