Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can we swim while the Dolphin M400 is cleaning?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can we swim while the Dolphin M400 is cleaning?

I have a brand new pool and the Dolphin M400 is part of the package. I'm used to my kids swimming at my friend's pool while her vacuum is going. However, her vacuum plugs into a return and not into external power. The manual for the Dolphin says not to be in the pool while cleaning. However, it takes 2.5 hours to clean!! I'm afraid I'll struggle to find 2.5 hrs every day... with no one in the pool... when I'll be there at the end to take it out (I think I'm supposed to remove it as soon as the cycle ends). I watched an Aussie YouTube professional review of the cleaner (Dolphin pool cleaner review - by Healthy Homes TV Australia - YouTube) where the reviewer SWIMS WITH the Dolphin, observing it's cleaning function. So, now I'm thinking the manual warning is just in reference to cord entanglement. My kids are definitely old enough to watch out for that. Do any of you know? Is there an electrical risk to swimming with the cleaner or would it just be cord entanglement? Do any of you swim with your robot cleaners?

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can we swim while the Dolphin M400 is cleaning?

I have swam while the robot is running. There is very little risk of an electrical shock, provided you are using a proper GFCI outlet for the power supply. The entanglement hazard would be more of a risk.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

They will scare you when they sneak up on you, that's why my friends call mine the angry dolphin.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The part that goes in the pool is low voltage, 24 volts on the ones I could find stats on so as long as the power supply is not in a position to get pulled into the pool the chances of a harmful shock is almost non existent. Even if the power supply did get pulled in as JVTrain said the GFCI should kick in.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

5. Back To Top    #5

It's fine. I think the instructions say not to because they are afraid of children/adult children of A) Getting their fingers are toes caught in any of the moving parts OR B) Someone pulling on it and the power supply falling in the water.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I suspect you will find you only need to clean your pool about once a week. Throw it in on Saturday morning when you wake up. Go to the spa for a massage and take it out. That's what I do every week -- NOT.

It uses 24 volts DC so if it failed you would possibility get a jolt getting out of the pool so I wouldn't recommend swimming with it in. Kids feel electric shocks more than adults.

Just to be clear a failure of the power supply (transformer) is likely to cause the GFCI to trip. A failure of the unit itself -- probably not -- because the GFCI does not work on the secondary side of a transformer.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Why not run the cleaner at night?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by borjis View Post
    Why not run the cleaner at night?
    Because sometimes I come home from a trip and want to jump into the pool that day. And I like a clean pool.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

at 11pm? (haha)
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

10. Back To Top    #10

I thought that, too, but I've read several comments about the vacuum that it is important to get out of the water quickly after the 2.5 hour cycle. So... I don't know if I should leave it all night!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you all for your input! I've learned to trust the experts on here. I feel pretty good about swimming with it, now... thank you!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I suspect you will find you only need to clean your pool about once a week. Throw it in on Saturday morning when you wake up. Go to the spa for a massage and take it out. That's what I do every week -- NOT.

It uses 24 volts DC so if it failed you would possibility get a jolt getting out of the pool so I wouldn't recommend swimming with it in. Kids feel electric shocks more than adults.

Just to be clear a failure of the power supply (transformer) is likely to cause the GFCI to trip. A failure of the unit itself -- probably not -- because the GFCI does not work on the secondary side of a transformer.
    24VDC is not derived from a transformer.
    Gunite Pool/Spa, CLI Caribbean blue crystal stone smooth, Pentair 3hp Intellifo VS, Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400k BTU Heater, KK Prowler 820, Pentair PSL4 controler with Screenlogic wifi, Inline Chlorinator, Pentair 1.5hp Spa Blower, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir. My 2016 Pool Build

12. Back To Top    #12

I think that is a great idea, put Flipper (Dolphin) In the pool just before you go to sleep, I will start doing that.
    I just bought a Dolphin S-100, the transformer knocks my 220v down to 29v DC
    it is safe to swim while Flipper is swimming, anything being used near the pool should ONLY be plugged into a GFI receptacle. All of my outlets are GFI.
    8M x 4M X 2M no slope IG CONCRETE w/ceramic glass tile
    17,000 Gal EMAUX SWG JAZZI FILTER W/1-3 mm glass media, Jazzi Multi-port valve with
    T-750 filter w/ glass media
    1 main drain sump -3 returns - 1 skimmer
    Kokido digital salinity tester, Kokida drops for CL Hanna digital PH meter, Taylor K-2006