Ph/TA plummeted for no reason. This is actually funny!

Newpoolcrazy

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2015
La Porte, TX
So I just opened new SWG pool, which I'm new at. Before it was all about the bleach.
A couple days ago, I only had a CYA of 50 so I added more stabilizer. Otherwise I haven't done anything to effect Ph/TA (at least I didn't think so)

Yesterday, my numbers where:

FC: 9
CC: .5
Ph: 7.6
TA: 110
CYA: not tested (was 50 before)

Now today:
FC: 10
CC:0
CYA hit target (70)
Ph 7.0!!!!
TA: 80!!!

I left the TA high because Ph was so low at first. Was watching for Ph to drift up then was going to add acid. Just trying to find the new sweet spots. ;)

I was baffled as to why the Ph/TA lowered so much on it's own, until I opened our front door and saw a door hanger from the place we bought the pool. Turns out they had someone come and do a courtesy check. The message said "Good choice getting a salt pool" Then I look above that and see he got a reading of FC= "5+" (nice test kit you've got there, pro. I could have told you it was 10) Ph: 7.8

His hand writing was really hard to read, and then we realized, under added chemicals it said: "3ptouit" which we figured out was really "3 pts acid"

Will call and chew them out to tomorrow. I was home and he never rang the door bell. He did what I would have done, but that's not the point.

It's just funny I KNEW it was wrong unless acid was added or I forgot something from being a newbie last year and new to SWG this year. Oy!

:p:shark:

Stabilizer is an acid (cyanuric acid), so it will lower pH some. It's a weak acid and won't affect the TA. The TA drop could only happen from added strong acid.

The cya would only have a small effect on the ph, so the big drop was a good indication of added strong acid.

It really was a bit rude. If I'd have known, I wouldn't have been confused.

How rude! lol :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. At least I was sure I didn't do it because :lovetfp:

Stabilizer is an acid (cyanuric acid), so it will lower pH some. It's a weak acid and won't affect the TA. The TA drop could only happen from added strong acid.

The cya would only have a small effect on the ph, so the big drop was a good indication of added strong acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.