I feel like I'm doing something wrong ...

Apr 18, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
So, I did the full lot of tests with my TF-100 Friday and these were the results:

FC - 5.5
PH - 7.2
CH - 300
CYA - 50
TA - 200

Over Saturday and Sunday my son and I had a few dips (wife thought it was too cold
:confused:) and I kept up with the daily tests with the K-1000 tests and everything looked good, but just to make sure, I tested just the FC with the TF-100 test to make sure it stayed up where it needed to be and on Sunday it should have been right at 6 by the end of the day. Yesterday, we didn't swim and so I didn't test at all or do anything with the pool. I literally skipped one stinking day and retested today, here were my results:

FC - 1
PH - 7.5
CH - 300
TA - 100
CYA - 40

Seriously? The Chlorine went down 5ppm over the course of ONE day? I must be missing something ... Is this normal? I'm going to have to fill my garage with gallons of bleach to get through the swimming season!

I did remove the chlorine tabs and float from my pool because the CYA was getting out of control and it did fall a tad, but I'm not feeling like the CYA is down enough to cause that kind of drop.

Relax :)

The average pool loses 2-4 ppm EVERY DAY. Several factors at play.

Most likely the other variances are testing error, no offense.

Sample water from same location, every time, grab from about 18" down. Test at the same time each day.

wipe the tip of the TA bottle with a damp cloth in between drops to eliminate static charge which can affect drops sizes thus the outcome of the test.

So you assumed the FC was 6ppm on Sunday night, did not test or add anything on Monday, and what time today did your test 1ppm? If just recently, sounds like you went 2 days.

It is normal to lose 2-3ppm of FC every day.

My mistake, I tested at about 2pm Sunday and then again tonight around 6pm, so it was two days. On Sunday the FC was 5.5 and I added the proper amount of chlorine using PoolMath to bring it up to 6, so I did assume it would probably be at 6 or pretty close after doing that, I didn't test again on Sunday I don't have that kind of time on my hands LOL so my mistake again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.