Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool Owner Pool Chemistry Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool New pool Owner Pool Chemistry Question

Hi all,

I am new to pool ownership and maintenance and I have a question regarding adding muriatic acid to lower pH and alkalinity. The TA was very high (over 200) and the pH was over 8 when I began. I have been adding muriatic acid in small doses, and there has been a reduction in my levels, however I seem to have run into a stagnant measurement. I cant get the pH lower than 7.6 and the TA is still about 180ppm. I have added nearly 3 gallons of muriatic acid so far and I am concerned about adding too much. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool Owner Pool Chemistry Question

Hi, welcome to TFP! Is the pH still trying to climb? If pH has stabilized at 7.6 with a TA of 180 it will not harm anything to let TA stay at that level.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you may be right about the pH stabilizing. Its been 7.6 for a few days now and my acidity demand test keeps indicating that I need to add more muriatic acid. (about a quart for my size pool) I want to add CYA as its getting hot and sunny here in NV but I was hoping for the alkalinity to be better. Should I go ahead and add the CYA anyway? Thanks for your response.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by eyedoc89 View Post
    Hi all,

I am new to pool ownership and maintenance and I have a question regarding adding muriatic acid to lower pH and alkalinity. The TA was very high (over 200) and the pH was over 8 when I began. I have been adding muriatic acid in small doses, and there has been a reduction in my levels, however I seem to have run into a stagnant measurement. I cant get the pH lower than 7.6 and the TA is still about 180ppm. I have added nearly 3 gallons of muriatic acid so far and I am concerned about adding too much. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help
    Is this a new, plaster pool?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome, Doc!

Don't hold off on the CYA. As a bonus, it's a mild acid, so it could shift the pH enough to notice.

A couple of thoughts:
    1) If the pool is under a year old, curing plaster will keep pH and TA climbing and you'll use acid at alarming rates. It's normal.
    2) The pH tester maxes out at 8.2, so it could well have been 9. And since pH is logarithmic like the Richter Scale, it will take ten times as much acid to get from 9 to 8 as from 8 to 7.
    3) If you want to lower TA faster, adjust pH down to 7.2. The Carbonates outgas as CO2 faster at lower pH.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes add the CYA
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com