Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is It Just Me, Or Can You Simply Eyeball FC After a While

1. Back To Top    #1

Is It Just Me, Or Can You Simply Eyeball FC After a While

Hello,

Been reading on here for 7 months, and we started our new (and first) pool with TFP 3 months ago. Fortunately, we have had no chemistry problems, and we have not been pool-stored. Rather, we have had the clearest pool water I have ever seen. But I test (esp FC) almost daily. Lately, I have noticed that I can kind of discern FC just by looking at the water. Is that the normal case? Or am I imagining it? Because eyeballing is much more convenient. And I think if eyeballing your FC is possible, it would be a strong testament for the TFP method.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is It Just Me, Or Can You Simply Eyeball FC After a While

I can eyeball when there is not enough FC or none at all
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. But with a new pool, I would err on the side of over-testing.

4. Back To Top    #4

Man - you guys are on a whole other level of TFP zen ...."at one with the water" grasshopper. Woo. I still test.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm afraid I haven't reached that point yet with the chlorine. But I can tell by the dullness of the reflection off the surface if the pH is too high. Could be that 4-figure CH...
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

To each his own pool. And until you REALLY know YOUR pool: test, test, test. OHMMMM....

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't even eyeball the OTO chlorine test.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

I can tell the moment I walk outside if something is off. Not just by the appearance but by the smell. When everything is right, my pool has no smell at all. If I smell anything, I know something has gone wrong.

If you are using a LQ, you should be able to get away with weekly testing if you have it tweaked.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

By eyeball I can tell if there have been a lot of people in the pool since the water will be slightly cloudy.

By smell, I can't really smell it unless my nose is right near the water, and only then I might catch a slight whiff of chlorine.

Getting to know my chemistry, now that makes it easy. I've gotten to the point of knowing my normal chemical levels (CH, CYA, TA) and water temperature, plus the days weather will give me a good idea of how much liquid chlorine I need to add for that day.
    J.R.

20K IG gunnite pool
    2HP Hayward single speed pump
    Cartridge filter

10. Back To Top    #10

If it's sunny out, I can tell if it needs chlorine by how shiny and sparkly the water is but I'm not good enough to know how much it needs.... Yet😉

12,000 gallon Blue Hawaiian 'Hamilton' fiberglass IG 15x34 freeform, Pebble Beach finish, Pentair Clean & Clear 100 filter cartridge, Pentair SuperFlo 1.5HP pump, Stenner pump, Raypak 266k heater
    8/2015 pool build photos TFT-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Our previous home we had the pool for over 16 years. After about 5 years I could tell almost immediately if something was off. 99% of the time it was CL or PH were low, the water just wouldn't have that sparkle to it . Our new pool, we've only had for 8 months and I'm still learning and testing every day.
    15K Gallon, IG Pebble Sheen pool with SPA (8/15/2015). Wrap around stone waterfall, spill over spa and bubbler on tanning shelf. Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter, Pentair Whisper Flo for filter circulation and Pentair Intelliflo for water features. Pressure side pentair sweeper, Pentair heater and Rainbow 320 Chlorinator (just use to keep CYA in check), Haas Liquidator and all powered by a Pentair Intellitouch system. K-2006 test kit.