Starting to green

I just recently switched to the bbb treatment a couple weeks ago. I don't have the test kit y'all (I'm texan) recommend, so I took it to a place and had it tested. Here are the results:

FC 5.8
Total chlorine 6.1
CC 0.3
pH 7.7
CH 283
TA 79
CYA 95
copper 0
Iron 0

Can you guide me as to what I should do?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

About the only thing you can do in invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and post up those numbers ... because we have found pool store testing to repeatedly be so inaccurate, providing suggestions based on them is a bad idea.

If you want me to turn a blind eye to the source of those numbers and offer my thoughts :mrgreen: ...

Your FC is too low for your overly high CYA. You need to replace at least half the water to lower the CYA to a reasonable level and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process (which BTW, requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test only found in the recommended test kits ;) )

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

About the only thing you can do in invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits and post up those numbers ... because we have found pool store testing to repeatedly be so inaccurate, providing suggestions based on them is a bad idea.

If you want me to turn a blind eye to the source of those numbers and offer my thoughts :mrgreen: ...

Your FC is too low for your overly high CYA. You need to replace at least half the water to lower the CYA to a reasonable level and then follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process (which BTW, requires the FAS-DPD chlorine test only found in the recommended test kits ;) )

So I replaced 50% of the water with city water and took a sample to Leslie's (I will purchase a test kit, but this is what I have for now)
Here are the results:
FC 0
CH 170
CYA 100
TA 80
pH 7.6
No metals
Phosphate 200 (which I know you said not to worry about,but it resulted...I'm just reporting it)

The pool is looking swampy.
I'm not sure which parameter to adjust first.

You need a test kit. Period.

Pool store testing is useless! Look at your numbers. Your CYA was at 95, you replaced half the water, and now the CYA is 100? Tap water has zero CYA. There's no way the CYA can climb unless one or both of the CYA tests are wrong.

You can ask all the questions you want, but the answer is always going to come back to accurate test results that you just don't have.

If you did not add any CYA, then your 1st test results were wrong or your 2nd tests are wrong, or both tests are wrong. I would not trust any of the test results, if it were me I would try to get one of the recommended test kits ASAP so you know exactly what to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.