Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Float Handle to Dolphin Nautilus Plus

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Float Handle to Dolphin Nautilus Plus

From my understanding the Dolphin Nautilus Plus does not clean the waterline because it does not have a float handle.
    Is it possible to buy a float handle and add it or would that not be possible or cost prohibitive?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Float Handle to Dolphin Nautilus Plus

My Dolphin Primal X3 don't have float handles and it still comes to the water line.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

My water line is typically the most diryt part of the pool, so it would be ideal if I could find a robot pool cleaner that was able to clean it as best as possible.

4. Back To Top    #4

I brush mine twice a week at least, so that takes care of the water line for me.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I have some input on this since I just bough a Dolphin Nautilus Plus about a month ago. Here is my 2 cents. Don't waste your money or time buying a float handle, it doesn't need it! I can tell you right now it DOES CLEAN THE WATER/TILE LINE. I've watched it plenty times go up the wall to the water line and then it runs across the top of the water/tile line cleaning it. The cord has two floats right above where it goes into the machine and also has 4 pieces of white spongy type material (2 around each set of brushes) that helps it climb and stay afloat when need be (provides more buoyancy). It has been PHENOMENAL! This thing is 1000x better than the old Pentair Legend pressure side pool cleaner we had! It literally keeps the bottom spotless! I can now have a piece of mind that when I put it in the pool, 3 hours later I can come back to a spotless pool every time! I was a bit hesitant at first because I never thought it would clean it THAT GOOD, I was thinking it would leave a few leaves or whatever else on the bottom, but that little beast cleans everything and anything in site!

P.S. Get the caddy! I had used it for about 2 weeks without the caddy and then decided to buy it and it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to transport and store it, definitely worth the $100 IMO!
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
    P.S. Get the caddy! I had used it for about 2 weeks without the caddy and then decided to buy it and it makes it SO MUCH EASIER to transport and store it, definitely worth the $100 IMO!
    As I've commented on other posts the caddy is great but imperfect. It allows you to snap in the power supply at waist level so you're not always fumbling around for a surface to rest it on while in use. It also stores the robot with the rollers elevated so you don't damage the surfaces. HOWEVER, it only has 2 fairly rigid wheels/tires and is next to impossible to turn in tight spaces, rolls poorly over uneven surfaces and doesn't do stairs/changes in elevation well. Better to have than not have, but best if you're primarily moving on level solid ground.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL
    30K gal, InGround Plaster Finish, 3.5'-9.5', Maytronics S300 Cleaner

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't have the caddy, but it sure isn't that heavy after water drains out. I made this little caddy for mine to sit in while not in use. It has a 2x8 with foam padding on the bottom, so the rollers don't sit on the bottom.
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

Any idea what the the white in-line thing is on the cable? Could it be a transformer? I read that the Dolphin pool vacuums come with a "transformer" to reduce the output from 120 volts to 24 volts going to the pool.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGuy View Post
    Any idea what the the white in-line thing is on the cable? Could it be a transformer? I read that the Dolphin pool vacuums come with a "transformer" to reduce the output from 120 volts to 24 volts going to the pool.
    White thing is a power cable swivel. It prevent the cable from kinking during operation. The power supply is not a transformer. It takes 120 VAC and turns it into low voltage DC which is used to power the robot. The power supply also communicates commands to the robot.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    I don't have the caddy, but it sure isn't that heavy after water drains out.[/URL]
    The most practical aspects of the caddy aren't about the weight but about streamlining the operation. It's not an essential accessory but it is a convenience.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Geebot View Post
    The most practical aspects of the caddy aren't about the weight but about streamlining the operation. It's not an essential accessory but it is a convenience.
    If you can't roll it on uneven ground, around corners, steps, gravel, things like that, what's the use in having it. I can have mine from the garage to operating in the pool in less than 10 minutes. I'm sure it can help some, but it's just not for me. I hope all the best for yours!
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by kywildcats View Post
    If you can't roll it on uneven ground, around corners, steps, gravel, things like that, what's the use in having it. I can have mine from the garage to operating in the pool in less than 10 minutes. I'm sure it can help some, but it's just not for me. I hope all the best for yours!
    Cajunguy was the advocate. I'm calling it non-essential (and an imperfect solution) - which means many, many people will live just fine without it. It came with my s300 and having used it I can see its convenience even with its considerable imperfections. My s300 only weighs 16 pounds and the whole rig, caddy included is probably around 30-32. Because it rolls poorly in my application I just lift the whole thing in and out of my shed. So it takes me about 2 minutes to get active. Without the caddy it would take about 4 minutes (i'd need to find a spot for the power supply where no one would run into it and where it would stay out of the sun for 2 hours). With the caddy, I just plop it down, plug into the power outlet and I'm good to go. So it's not life-altering but has its uses.
    Geebot
    Chicago, IL

13. Back To Top    #13

This just confuses me even more about what to get. I didn't want to be in the $1K range on a robot vac.

The Nautilus Plus is $700 but I don't think it includes a caddy. A Triton Plus is under $1100 and comes with both a caddy and a remote and has a float handle.

Hmm.............

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

I have this one Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Cleaner and couldn't be happier. It's a slight pain to clean but I don't mind. Cleans every corner, stairs, and just about climbs out of the pool getting the waterline. As always, ymmv.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

15. Back To Top    #15

I ended up ordering the Dolphin Nautilus Plus. I shall see if it cleans the waterline sufficiently. I liked the top filter over the bottom and I would not use the weekly timer, filter clogged, or delayed start features. The caddy might be nice but it will be close to the pool so I don't think it's necessary for me.

I cam close to buying the Triton plus because of the float handle and claim it can clean the water line along with the dual drive and split brushes.

Thank you all for the input.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by cbass View Post
    I ended up ordering the Dolphin Nautilus Plus. I shall see if it cleans the waterline sufficiently. I liked the top filter over the bottom and I would not use the weekly timer, filter clogged, or delayed start features. The caddy might be nice but it will be close to the pool so I don't think it's necessary for me.

I cam close to buying the Triton plus because of the float handle and claim it can clean the water line along with the dual drive and split brushes.

Thank you all for the input.
    You will LOVE the Nautilus Plus! I am amazed everyday at how well it cleans the pool. The top access filter cartridges are worth their weight in gold compared to bottom access filter BAGS. They are soooo easy to clean out and you can clean them both in about 2 minutes tops and have them back in. I just keep a 5 gallon water bucket by the hose and clean them out over the bucket and when it gets full I just dump the bucket.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

17. Back To Top    #17

Just an update. I got my Nautilus Plus today and watched it run for 30 min and so far I am very happy with it. I have seen it climb the wall, perhaps even too well as it has managed to reach above the water line to the edge of the pool. It has also made it on top of the stairs. I think it will fit the needs of my pool very well. The top cartridges are very easy to clean.