Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heyward gasket for intex

1. Back To Top    #1

Heyward gasket for intex

Before I go all fruit ninja on our pool just thought I'd ask if its better to cut the gasket in half or order a separate gasket all together for the other side of the liner but I wasn't sure if that would make it too thick. Suggestions?
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heyward gasket for intex

I cut mine carefully with an X-acto knife. Installed half on the inside and half on the outside, then cut out the square of liner. No leaks!
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

3. Back To Top    #3

I didn't cut mine, just left it as a butterfly. Worked out great.

Coleman 18'x48' AGP
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump 2800GPH
    Intex SWG
    **Under Construction** :)

4. Back To Top    #4

I did mine without draining the pool.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

If you want to put it on without draining, I think you'll have to split the gasket. I don't see how you could put an entire gasket on each side and get it to seal properly. They are butterfly gaskets, not flat.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #6

I left mine intact, but I installed it before the water level had reached the level of the skimmer opening so I was able to install the skimmer without the gasket, cut the liner, remove the skimmer and replace the skimmer with the gasket.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Installed mine right after getting the winter cover off and scooping out some piles of garbage that fell in.

I didnt cut my gasket. I placed front cover plate to the outside pool wall. Marked the holes then used a 1/8in drill bit and made the holes in the liner. I then used 4 screws in the corners to hold the cover plate to the outside pool wall. I then hung the skimmer inside the pool using the hole in the lid to aid in lining the screws up. Once the screws start i was able to let go of the skimmer and tighten the screws. Once all screws were tight i used a utility knife and cut out the liner. Having installed it backwards i was able to not get in the pool. Aftera cutting the opening i disassembled it installed butteryfly gasket installed the front over plate and started all the screws. Then screwed the skimmer on.

Not a single leak. And didnt need to get wet.

15'x4' Metal Frame Intex 3yo (2nd year winterized) 16" 2650gph intex sand filter, Thru wall skimmer, dual inlet/single outlet, 1000gph intex pump (heater) Solar Cover TF-100 testkit, TFPC

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a new 16x48 due to rust on the old one, but the old liner is still in good shape, so I am just going to store the new liner should something happen to the old one. Since the pool is down and drained right now, I guess I'm asking is it better to leave the gasket as one piece and just install the skimmer before I fill the pool. Since it's empty I shouldn't have to worry about the weight of the water tearing the liner and then I could cut the liner after it was installed then remove it and place the butterfly gasket on as one piece, then reinstall skimmer. Hope this makes sense....but it's probably about as clear as mud.
    Intex Ultra 16x48
    Intex 2650 Sand Filter
    Installed June 2, 2012

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

You can do that, but I even cut my liner with the pool full to just below the cut. Don't stress over it, it won't tear.

25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation