Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newb that needs help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Newb that needs help.

Hello all and thanks in advance for the help. We purchased our house during the winter and the pool hadn't been opened in 5 years per the realtor. It's a beautiful pool and the kids really enjoy it. Ingound, concrete/plaster 38' by 22' bean shaped pool goes from 4' 9' deep.
    Question is:
    I've got these dark shades in the bottom and dark spots forming. Pool was drained, pressure and acid washed about 10 days ago. Is this something to be concerned with?
    FC- 5
    Ph- 7.5
    CYA- non existent
    TA-140
    TH-230
    Last edited by Coach_1; 05-10-2016 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Added pics

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newb that needs help.

The worst thing I'm thinking is that some of the plaster itself got power washed off. Let's hope not. Any idea how old the plaster is?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I have no idea. I don't think that's it because it has got worse or grown in the last few days.

4. Back To Top    #4

New pool owner question.

Hello all and thanks in advance for the help. We purchased our house during the winter and the pool hadn't been opened in 5 years per the realtor. It's a beautiful pool and the kids really enjoy it. Ingound, concrete/plaster 38' by 22' bean shaped pool goes from 4' 9' deep.
    Question is:
    I've got these dark shades in the bottom and dark spots forming. Pool was drained, pressure and acid washed about 10 days ago. Is this something to be concerned with?
    FC- 5
    Ph- 7.5
    CYA- non existent
    TA-140
    TH-230

5. Back To Top    #5

Re: New pool owner question.

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

What you are testing with?

Any spots are something to be concerned about. Whether you can do anything about them depends on the cause.

Can you post any pictures of what you are seeing?

If you have trouble, note: To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

How are you adding chlorine?
    You have added zero CYA? (Stabilizer/Conditioner?)
    What are you testing with?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi Coach! We're hitting you with 3 responses at once. Stains are always a concern. I'll add a couple more thoughts. Generally staining comes from either algae, high calcium, or metals in the water. I'm thinking we can rule-out calcium since you just had the pool acid washed. Let's get some more info to help try to figure this out:
    - What does the water look like now (clear, cloudy, any color tint, etc)?
    - How did you get those test results (which test kit)? We ALL want to know that one.
    - Where do you get your fill water (city, well, etc)?
    - Have you ever heard that you may have metals in the water (iron or copper)?

Depending on how you got those readings above, I can see a couple possibilities... with no CYA either that's algae trying to form because the pool can't protect the FC; or because there is no CYA the FC is exceptionally stronger right now causing metals to precipitate out faster on to the pool surface. At some point, you might want to try a couple tests if you can ... hold a chlorine tablet to the stain, if it goes away it's organic (algae). Or try regular crushed vitamin c tablets in a sock against the stain, if it goes away or lightens significantly it's probably metal.

Combine these first 3 replies to your situation and you'll probably have a good idea of what to do soon.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Wow thanks for the quick responses.
    Water is very clear. (At least to me)
    HTH 6 way test kit from Wally World.
    Filled with city water.
    No idea about the metals.

9. Back To Top    #9

Well coach, it's not the ideal testing kit, but it's something. As already noted, you should get some stabilizer in there right away using the sock method we always speak of here. Shoot for an initial CYA target of 30 ppm.
    To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet or in the skimmer. Best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level, although the test readings may take anywhere from 24 hours to a few days to fully register. Confirm CYA in about one week before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
    Keep your FC at the 3-5 range. Maybe try one of those tests above when you get a chance. See if you get any results. If it's algae, increasing FC to SLAM level (link below) is your method of treatment. If it's metals, that's a whole other issue we'll have to come back to.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just merged your 2 threads which are essentially the same thing. Please keep related discussions and questions together. Thanks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom View Post
    How are you adding chlorine?
    You have added zero CYA? (Stabilizer/Conditioner?)
    What are you testing with?
    Putting the 3" round tablets in the skimmer and one in the thing that floats around.
    Have not added CYA yet.
    Testing with the HTH 6 way kit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Coach, we don't recommend leaving pucks in the skimmer because they are so acidic and can lead to other problems. Speaking of which your pH is already on the low end, so running too much pucks could drive your pH even lower, so you should be careful about that as well. Granular stabilizer is the way to go - safe and predictable. Definitely increase/verify that CYA as soon as you can though or your free chlorine will go right out the window from the sun's UV. For sanitation, regular liquid bleach is preferred here at TFP for non-SWG pools, so you might want to review our recommended chemicals page (link below). Have a good day.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Coach_1 View Post
    Putting the 3" round tablets in the skimmer and one in the thing that floats around.
    Have not added CYA yet.
    Testing with the HTH 6 way kit.
    Those round tablets will add CYA, so you probably already have some in there. You need to buy a good test kit - a TF-100 or a Taylor K-2006 in order to have reliable results.
    SLAM * Chlorine/CYA Chart * Pool Math * Pool School
    17.5k gal IG Fiberglass, Triton II TR60 Sand Filter, Jacuzzi Magum Force Pump 1.5 hp, 3/4 hp booster, Polaris 280, TF-100 Test Kit with Speed Stir

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for all the info so far. Ordering one of the recommended test kits today. Also going to put a chlorine puck against the dark spot and see if it goes away as mentioned above. Also trying to educate myself on the switch from pucks to liquid chlorine/bleach and trying to figure out how much cya to use in my pool.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Switching to liquid chlorine just means daily maintenance. Instead of having a puck that is slowly bleeding chlorine (and unwanted CYA) into your pool over time, you check once a day and add chlorine (I pour an adult beverage and do so in the afternoon when I'm done with work). That's really it - there's no ceremony involved other than removing the existing pucks and just not using them any more.

Testing about the same time each day will let you figure out your rough daily burn, and then you can use pool math to find out how much you need to add to cover that daily burn.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

16. Back To Top    #16

I put the puck against a few of the spots and the spots did not change. Left it there for a couple minutes. If I rubbed the puck against them some would be removed and some did not change. Don't have any calcium to try that at the moment.

17. Back To Top    #17

Since the pucks didn't work, next try regular Vitamin C tablets, crushed and placed in a sock and hold against the stain(s). See if that does anything. Let us know when you get a chance.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Since the pucks didn't work, next try regular Vitamin C tablets, crushed and placed in a sock and hold against the stain(s). See if that does anything. Let us know when you get a chance.
    Will do. I need to make a Wally World run so I'll pick some up.
    30k Gallons, IG plaster, Jacuzzi Sand Storm 350lb Sand filter, 1hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump. Taylor K-2006 kit. Jacuzzi J-D300 side suction vac.

19. Back To Top    #19

I also keep a long of my results. Here is something that might help you.

Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

So poolmath says I need 125oz of 6% bleach to raise my FC from 1 to 3. Does this seem correct? Seems like a lot to me.
    30k Gallons, IG plaster, Jacuzzi Sand Storm 350lb Sand filter, 1hp Jacuzzi Magnum Force pump. Taylor K-2006 kit. Jacuzzi J-D300 side suction vac.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast