First test with TF100 kit

Hello,

Pool was opened about 10 days ago. Was using a cover, but it stopped working. Today is the 3rd day that the pool was uncovered 24hours.

Here's my results:

FC.05
CC .05
Calcium 325
Alkalinity 70
CYA 0

How do I raise the CYA? I assume what's that comes up, the chlorine will start lasting longer?

Ooh, how exciting!

attachment.php

You need the pH result, too. And I suspect a problem with the decimal point somewhere in your chlorine calculations.

Yes, raising CYA will help your expensive bleach to last more than a couple hours in the sun. Don't aim higher than 40 just in case your pool isn't as big as you think. You can always add more. Getting rid of the excess is a PITA.

If you have some chemicals standing by....
1) Adjust pH if it's out of whack
2) Raise FC to 3
3) Add CYA using the sock method.

You need to wait fifteen minutes or so between the pH and FC adjustments. CYA can be done immediately after either.

Thank you for your response! In my haste I failed to mention what I've been adding and my PH. PH was at 6.8 I purchased borax online and it should arrive today. I've added 170 oz of 6% bleach, the past 2 days. Additionally, I have 3 hockey puck chlorine tablets sitting in each skimmer basket.

Does it matter which I raise first (FC or PH)?

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Typo. chlorine is 0.5ppm

I recommend not putting pucks in the skimmer basket unless you are running the pump 24/7. Even then, I won't do it, but that's me. :)

pH is easy to raise, do that first. You may likely find that your FC doesn't hold from being so low, so you may be SLAMming soon. In fact, it already sounds like it isn't holding.

Thank you for your response! In my haste I failed to mention what I've been adding and my PH. PH was at 6.8 I purchased borax online and it should arrive today. I've added 170 oz of 6% bleach, the past 2 days. Additionally, I have 3 hockey puck chlorine tablets sitting in each skimmer basket.

Does it matter which I raise first (FC or PH)?

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Typo. chlorine is 0.5ppm
Not really.

Note that those pucks are very acidic so you're actually making the pH situation worse. Probably lower it by .2 or so. And they won't add any significant amount of FC or CYA in a pool your size. By the time they've dissolved, that 24 ounces of trichlor will have only added 5 FC and 3 CYA. The FC will be gone with the sun and that small amount of CYA probably won't even affect your test results when you do add CYA granules.

In your climate, you can likely use the tablets, but they should never be put in the skimmer.

You need to learn what they are doing to your pool though, have you read all the link I provided in the first response?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.