Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 way valve for waterfall

1. Back To Top    #1

3 way valve for waterfall

Hello- I am looking to potentially have a rock waterfall built onto my existing pool. Currently I have a 2 way valve ( I think) returning water to pool through the return jets and the 2 bubblers. The valve can be adjusted to raise, lower, or turn off the bubblers to my liking. Can that valve be changed out to a 3 way valve to provide water to the waterfall? The pump is year old 2 hp Pentair whisper-flo. I've been told that is enough hp to do so. I understand that the ideal set up would be separate pump for the waterfall, but would prefer to use what I have to keep cost down and limited pumping station area. Thank you for all your input

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 3 way valve for waterfall

nothing wrong with adding/changing to a 3 way valve if both have water going to them the amount of water will be split and therefore less water will go to each
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I think there may be confusion here. A 3-way valve has 3 ports, on the return side plumbing, it has one inlet and 2 outlets. From your description, I think this is what you already have with one side to the pool and the other side to the bubblers. (Although I could be misunderstanding).

A picture of your setup could help us make suggestions
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am trying to upload a picture but it keeps saying its too large, even when I shrink it. I will keep working on it. But I think you understand correctly. There is one line that supplies water from the filter, then 2 lines that are controlled by the valve in place to return the water to the pool. Can a different valve replace the existing one to supply water to the return jets, bubblers, and/or waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

No, there are no 4 way valve. You will need to add another 3-way valve off of one of the 2 legs to the pool to have full control.

To post more/larger pictures, you either need to raise your storage allotment by Becoming a TFP Supporter or follow the How To Post Pictures tutorial.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Attachment 47819

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the insight. That makes sense. I would assume it would be better to split off of the bubbler line since they don't get used that often and probably won't be used at the same time as the waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I can not see anything in that thumbnail

That is what I would do ... add a 3-way on the waterfall side that splits to the waterfall or bubblers. So you have one valve to turn to isolate to back to just the normal returns.
    Jason, TFP Moderator