Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lost and almost overwhelmed with pool revival

1. Back To Top    #1

Lost and almost overwhelmed with pool revival

So, I have cleaned the pool, and filled it up. The water just reached skimmer level, just a few more inches!! I have read through pool school and done a few of the suggestions. Pics and 1st "leslie's" test results in my intro thread. I just bought some DE for my freshly cleaned out FNS Plus 60 filter. During cleaning, I noticed that I will soon be replacing the grids as there are some broken and brittle pieces. However, I am extremely pressed budget wise until payday. I also have to raise the calcium hardness level in the pool. I will be ordering a test kit for my own testing in the next week or two. But main question for today is do I continue adding the hardness adjuster while adding the DE slurry for the filter? Should I wait til i have new grids before using the DE? So many questions and little things that need to be addressed that I am glad I found this forum. I'll be my own pool guy from now on.
    New owner of old pool
    30K GAL, IG plaster, max-e-pro xf 1.5hp motor with 3/4hp booster,
    Triton FNS Plus 60 D.E. filter, sweeper out of commission, built 8-1989

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lost and almost overwhelmed with pool revival

Adding calcium without an accurate reading might be a dicey thing to do since you don't have your own test results yet. As for grids, it's not good to let them run without DE, so if your old grids can hold DE, it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep them covered (charged) for now. When you get new grids you can always do a thorough cleaning and recharge the whole filter at that time as well. Until you can order the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, you might consider at least a simple HTH kit from Wal-Mart so you can at least check pH and ensure there's some adequate chlorine available.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! I'll add the DE now. They'll hold, only a few with holes. but should be enough to get me through til the new ones are bought. Just primed the filter(thats a lot of buckets of water). I started at 0 chlorine and added 2 bags of shock from leslies before I found this page yesterday and added maybe 15lbs of the recommended 75 for the calcium. They read it as 40ppm, and from what i read it should be around 300ppm? Its a fresh fill from city water it that helps.
    New owner of old pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, it's very possible you'll need more calcium, but it's best to know where you're at right now so you don't overshoot the CH target. Just use regular bleach for your FC sanitation for now. Once you can get your own test kit you'll be much better prepared to take action without buying or adding anything you don't need.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks again. I have the pump running, seems to be working okay. DE was added as in the tutorial. Water seems to be flowing through the plumbing well, minus 1 return. Seems to be air coming out of it, but not the other 2. Hope its just some air in the line... with my luck on this thing so far, cracked plumbing isn't out of the question.
    New owner of old pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Does your set up have a multiport valve? When you add DE do you see it returning to the pool via the return jets?

Have you added any CYA (Stabilizer/conditioner) to protect your FC from UV destruction?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

7. Back To Top    #7

This is the current "valve" that is installed.

After adding the DE, I did notice that it returned via the jets. And I have not added the CYA yet, but i do have a bag ready to add.
    New owner of old pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Unfortunately stuff will continue to leak through until you can get the grids replaced.

Go ahead and calculate your dose for CYA and get her in there.

No multiport valve
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks! Sucks on the valve, but this may be worse...

Found the air leak! Hope it is just a seal...
    New owner of old pool

10. Back To Top    #10

oh boy