Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine levels reading high

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine levels reading high

Good Afternoon All!

I am in need of some direction after some recent readings of my pool chemicals. To background, gunite pool, about 13000 gallons, I do have an inline chlorinator and I typically supplement with bleach. Currently my readings from the kit I bought on here reads:
    FC-12
    CC-.5
    TC-12.5
    CH-400
    TA-90
    CYA-90
    PH 7.5

We have really hard water here and our CH has always hovered in the higher 300's or so. I also looked back in my notes I keep and our CYA has averaged 60-90 as well. We have had some recent rains so I assume some things are out of wack from that. About a month ago I had turned up the chlorinator to about 3, probably a bit pre-mature since it's not warmed up to swimming weather here in Oklahoma. I have since turned it to zero to try to bring the FC down. That has brought it down from 15 on Sunday. Can I assume that if I leave the chlorinator off for a day or two more with daily testing it will come down on its own? I appreciate all insight.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine levels reading high

How does your water look? That is the first thing we need to know before any of us should advise you much further. Secondly, please remove the pucks from your chlorinator as soon as you can. Those pucks add CYA and your level is already high.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Since your CYA is 90 you really don't have very far to go. Your target is 10 after all.

- - - Updated - - -

Time to remove the pucks and switch to liquid chlorine or bleach.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the reply's. The water is crystal clear. When the wind dies down I can see the screws that hold the cover of the returns in place in the floor of the pool. I can't get my hand inside the tube to remove the existing pucks, so I will probably just have to wait until they are gone.

Pabeader- Are you saying I should be targeting 10 for my CYA reading?

5. Back To Top    #5

Your minimum FC should be 10 BECAUSE of your CYA level.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you for the clarification. Would it be wise to remove some water or will the CYA levels lower as I reduce the chlorine and transition away from the chlorine pucks

7. Back To Top    #7

The only reasonable way to lower the CYA is to partially drain and replace water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Helping others with their pools I have been able to get pucks out of a chlorinator using metal kabob skewers. Just a thought.